Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

How I’m Channeling My Inner Rory Gilmore This Spring Semester

As Lorelai Gilmore would say, “Coffee in one hand, books in the other, and a new semester is stretching out before me like a perfectly creased bed sheet!”

Okay, maybe I’m channeling a little too much Lorelai, but the saying is still true. As we enter a new year and semester, the excitement, trepidation, and long to-do lists are upon us. Since this is my first semester at Florida State University, I can’t help but feel excited about what awaits me.

Just like Rory starting at Chilton, I know this is the right step for me to indulge in opportunities that will guide me towards my goals for the future. As I grab my books and rehabilitate my caffeine addiction, I’m ready to face these deadlines and the pressure to succeed. So, as I channel my inner Rory, here’s what I expect for the Spring 2024 semester at FSU as a transfer student!

extracurricular activities

As a transfer student, an essential part of making FSU my very own Stars Hollow is the act of socializing and getting involved on campus. FSU offers a huge variety of organizations to get involved and help you find your very own Lane, Paris, or Lorelai. For my first few years in college, I had trouble making attempts to involve myself in social events or organizations because of anxieties and loads of coursework.

Now that I’ve applied to Her Campus at FSU, I have high hopes of turning my experience into a good one where I can meet like-minded women with the same interests and hobbies as myself! Joining an organization can help you reach different goals or even help you put yourself out there. If you happen to meet your Dean, Jess, or Logan along the way, then all the better! Just don’t neglect those extracurricular activities that may bring you joy and new experiences.

academics

When Rory was accepted into Chilton, she felt an overflow of emotions as she was excited to guarantee her academic success and continue working on her dreams of going to Harvard. With FSU being my dream university, I’m determined to channel my inner Rory when it comes to hitting the books and acing my tests. Though I won’t have Luke’s Diner around to fuel me with unlimited amounts of coffee, I will be spending a lot of time in the Union and Strozier where I can still indulge in my caffeine and junk food addiction for fuel!     

Of course, all of us will be stressed with our overwhelming workloads and to-do lists but like Rory said, “If all else fails, you can marry rich!” As a Social Science Education major, I totally live by this. However, there are things that you can do to help yourself out with all the to-do lists and endless Canvas notifications.

A new semester is a blank canvas where we get to start fresh and write our own academic story. I prioritized finding a solid group of friends to study with and tackle those textbooks together. My friends and I like to quiz each other, share notes, or even throw in the occasional Gilmore Girls marathon. Having a supportive and studious group makes those study sessions less daunting and more fun!

Even with all the chaos of the semester, it’s crucial to maintain a good schedule. Rory may have sailed through Yale without a planner, but most of us need more structure to stay on top of things. I know that I am investing in a cute and functional planner for mapping out my classes, study sessions, assignments, and coffee breaks!

There will be ups and downs, moments of triumph, and moments of, well, Lorelai-worthy freak-outs. But through it all, remember why you’re here. You’re here to learn, grow, challenge yourself, and experience the magic of college life. Remember, it’s all about finding your own balance, embracing the journey, and never forgetting the power of a good cup of coffee.

As Rory herself would say, “Life is short, talk fast, and leave a message.” So, let’s make this semester one for the Stars Hollow history books, shall we? Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a date with a venti iced coffee and a stack of textbooks. Wish me luck. Let’s crush this spring semester!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hi! My name is Emily Arbon and I'm a junior at FSU! This is my first semester writing for Her Campus. I am a Social Science Pre-Secondary Education Major with a Minor in Sociology. In my free time, I love going to the beach, listening to music, and working out with friends. Go Noles!