The History Behind FSU’s Most Iconic Football Traditions

Many things confused me as an out-of-state student who came to Florida State without ever doing a campus tour. When arriving for orientation, the first thing that played was the war chant. Suddenly, everyone started to do the famous Tomahawk chop, and I was left with numerous questions. Now, almost two years later, I can’t stop doing it. Seriously. It’s become one of my personality traits to my non-Nole friends and family at this point.

why are we called seminoles?

First, why are FSU students called the Seminoles, and where did that come from? The Seminoles are descendants of 300 Native Americans who evaded capture by the U.S. Army in the 19th century. Their history is marked by tenacity, disputes, and cultural preservation. Florida State University chose the Seminole name to pay tribute to the tribe’s ideals. The Seminole name represents honor and unity for the tribe and the university. It stands for the determination and resilience of people who have persevered in the face of hardship and are still prospering. The Seminole name symbolizes Florida State University’s dedication to diversity, cultural preservation, and respect for one another. 

I was confused about how the name wasn’t some kind of cultural appropriation. Elizabeth Hirst, FSU’s Chief of Staff and a liaison to the Seminole tribe, told the Tampa Bay Times, “Florida State University’s official use of the Seminole name is different from other names in that it does not perpetuate offensive racial stereotypes nor is it meant to diminish or trivialize any Native American or indigenous peoples. Instead, it is used with explicit tribal permission and involvement to honor and promote the Seminole Tribe of Florida’s unconquered history and spirit that persists to this day.” Additionally, the Seminole tribe council unanimously adopted a resolution endorsing FSU’s use of the name in 2005 when the NCAA reevaluated its policies regarding Native American nicknames.  

where did the war chant come from?

As for the war chant, this was completely random. The origin of Florida State’s “war chant” seems to have stemmed from an incident during a game against Auburn University in 1984. According to the Seminole Boosters, “In the 1960s, the Marching Chiefs would chant the melody of a popular FSU cheer. In a sense, that chant was the long version of FSU’s current ‘war chant.’ During a thrilling game with Auburn in 1984, the Marching Chiefs began to perform the melody. Some students behind the band joined in and continued the ‘war chant’ portion after the band had ceased.”  

Most believe the chant originated from a group of fraternity men in a section behind the marching band, but Seminole fans added the hand motion to signify the brandishing of a tomahawk. Regardless, the chant continued for the rest of the 1985 football season and is now a famous college football tradition at Florida State. 

how many osceolas and renegades have there been?

The spectacular pre-game show at Doak Campbell Stadium during FSU’s home games is all about Osceola and Renegade. We can all picture it now: Osceola charges down the field on Renegade and plants a fiery spear at midfield. We all know this custom pays a sincere tribute to the Florida Seminole Tribe, but how did it start? 

It all began in 1978 when Bill Durham, a graduate of Florida State University, was permitted by the tribe to establish this tradition. Six Renegades and 17 different Osceolas have since taken control over the years, and all have succeeded in hyping up the crowd. ESPN’s SportsNation rated it the nation’s finest NCAA Football Tradition in 2011. 

Now that we know the history of how this all came to be, I have one thing left to say: go Noles, baby! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Veronica Eichberg is a dedicated staff writer for the Her Campus at Florida State University. As a Hispanic and Jewish female, Veronica is passionate about finding your voice through writing. Her dedicated approach to journalism is also shaped by her wide array of interests ranging anywhere from politics to pop-culture.  Veronica is currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Political Science and International Affairs at Florida State University, she has served as a Field Representative Intern for Pennsylvania State Senator Devlin Robinson and actively engaged in local politics as a Student Campaign Promoter for Leon County. Her campus involvement includes being the Director of Mental health and Recreation for the FSU Honors Student Association, Student Senate and directing social awareness efforts in the Delta Gamma Sorority. Veronica is a passionate advocate for mental health, a skilled debater, and a speaker with thought-provoking TEDx talks.  In her free time, Veronica enjoys going to the gym, thrifting, listening to music and reality TV.