Life > Experiences

Going Behind the Scenes With Relay for Life Greek Engagement Chair: Kelly Kuramoto

On March 25, Florida State University (FSU) hosted its 18th annual Relay for Life event in the Student Union Ballrooms. Relay for Life at FSU is an on-campus branch of the American Cancer Society. Each year, FSU student organizations come together to fundraise, educate and advocate for cancer research. The event lasts 12 hours and continues through the night, representing the fact that cancer never sleeps. 

This week, I had the opportunity to speak with Relay for Life’s Greek Engagement Chair, Kelly Kuramoto. Kuramoto is a junior Public Health major minoring in Psychology. This is her second year on Relay’s internal team, but her passion for the cause began much earlier.

Her Campus (HC): How did you become involved in Relay for Life?

Kelly Kuramoto (KK): I originally became involved in Relay for Life in high school and fell in love with it then. During my freshman year, I decided to join my sorority’s relay team but I knew I wanted to be more involved. During my sophomore year, I applied to be a Celebration Leader (now known as Relay Tribe), which was a group of students that worked right below the executive board in fundraising and advertising throughout the year. This year, I was blessed with the opportunity to serve as Greek Engagement Chair.

HC: What were the motivations behind your choice to join Relay for Life and take on such an important executive role?

KK: I knew that when I got to FSU I wanted to get involved in something where I could dedicate my time to those who are less fortunate. When I signed up for Relay for Life freshman year, I had no idea the impact that it would have on me in the future. After the main event last year, I found myself being sad that it was over. I looked forward to going to the weekly meetings and seeing all my friends who were passionate about the same things I was. It truly is a blessing to be surrounded by people who are so dedicated to such a great cause, and I wanted to experience that again and again.

HC: What did the planning process look like from your perspective? What you were responsible for?

KK: The main thing that the Greek team was responsible for was trying to get all Greek organizations registered for the event. We also had to make sure that the team captains had all the information they needed to give out to their team members.

My role consisted of reaching out to members of each different Greek organization and asking them if they were interested in creating a team. I would sometimes go with other members of the executive board to some chapter meetings to speak a little more about what Relay for Life is and try to get more people involved.

HC: Could you summarize what this year’s event, Relaypalooza, entailed? Give us a fun little recap of the event!

KK: We were very lucky to have been able to hold the event in the Union Ballrooms this year so we did not have to stress about the weather! For the executive board, the event started at 8 a.m. where we began our set up. This consisted of blowing up balloons to make balloon arches, hanging up posters and banners, setting up the merch table, lining the Luminaria bags around the ballroom, and getting things ready for the teams and participants when they arrive.

Our theme this year was Music Festival, so each hour was themed as a different genre of music. The teams got creative with their themes this year; some of the themes were Tortuga Music Festival, Stagecoach, Coachella, and Olivia Rodrigo’s Sour album. When participants got there, they could walk as many laps as they wanted and check out what each table was selling. Meanwhile, there was also something going on onstage. We would have different games going on every hour and had some performers there as well. Some of these games included the chubby bunny challenge, a hula-hoop competition, tug-o-war, a three-legged and wheelbarrow race, and a frozen t-shirt contest. Some of the different activities and performances we had included a Jazzercise class, a self-defense class, an FSU Cheer performance, FSU Belly Dancers and band performances. On top of all that, prizes were given out to the highest fundraiser of the hour.

You were also given the opportunity to donate eight inches of your hair to someone with cancer! We had lots of people come up to donate this year including our executive director, Emily Porter, and associate director, Alexandria Schneider. Our fundraising goal this year was $100,000, which we exceeded! At midnight, which marked the end of the event, we raised $101,058. We now have raised $103,299, which makes us the No. 8 relay event in the United States. Team Exec has raised $30,906, which makes us the No. 3 team in the United States! 

HC: How can students get involved in supporting the cause?

KK: Any student can get involved with Relay no matter what year in school you are in. We have a group called Relay Tribe, which is made up of students from all grades who want to get more involved with Relay. They work right below the Executive Board and still come to every event to help out throughout the year. It is a great stepping stone into Relay for Life at FSU because it is not as much of a time commitment as being on the Executive Board

HC: Why should students be participating in something as important as Relay for Life?

KK: I think that students should be trying to get involved in anything that supports those who are not as fortunate as we are. Joining an organization as great as Relay for Life makes you appreciate everything that you have and never take things for granted. It is also a great way to make friends outside of your other organizations. I have met some amazing people through Relay who are some of my best friends now!

The dedication and fundraising efforts that go into Relay for Life are incredibly impressive. Its members are so passionate about the cause, and you should be too! Make sure to follow the Relay for Life Instagram page, @fsurelayforlife, for updates on upcoming fundraising events and how to become involved! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

a senior at Florida State University majoring in Sport Management. she loves watching movies, listening to music, and binge-watching theme park vlogs. on Sunday mornings, you can find her watching the latest Formula 1 race.