Get To Know Alessa Gardini: FSU’s SDT President

Imagine being a college student with a full-course load on top of being President of a sorority chapter with over 200 members; well that’s Alessa Gardini’s college experience. In November 2022 she was installed as Sigma Delta Tau (SDT)’s 2022-2023 president, and ever since she has been working hard and killing it as both a Sports Management student and a sorority president. I was lucky enough to get to opportunity to ask her a few questions about her time so far as president and what SDT means to her.

Her Campus (HC): What made you want to run for president of Sigma Delta Tau?

Alessa Gardini (AG): Being on the executive board this past year was truly the most rewarding and developmental experience I believe I have ever had. My previous position as Vice President of Panhellenic Relations gave me confidence and taught me grace. I decided to run for president because I loved being able to create an experience for members, and wanted to continue my leadership journey even further. Seeing my sisters happy always puts a smile on my face, and I want to continue to help create an environment for sisters that keeps improving.

HC: What has serving as president taught you so far?

AG: Serving as president has taught me patience and adaptability. Not everyone acts, feels, or works the same way. It’s important to adapt my leadership style depending on the person I am working with. Also, it’s important to have patience. Not every member wants to prioritize the same things I do, and that is okay. Being patient allows me to take more time to motivate members and keep everyone happy.

HC: What has been your favorite part about being president of your chapter?

AG: My favorite part about being president has been getting to be involved in planning every single event put on by SDT. I love working behind the scenes at each event and managing the logistics.

HC: Do you have any advice for those who may want to go through recruitment in the fall?

AG: My advice for anyone that may go through recruitment in the fall is to go in with an open mind and ignore other people’s opinions. When I went through recruitment, I knew nothing about the chapters here. I truly feel this helped me find where I belong and be able to make my decisions without any preconceived notions.

HC: What does a typical week look like for you?

AG: A typical week for me includes class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, work on Mondays and Wednesdays, and class on Monday and Wednesday nights. In my time in between classes, I follow up with executive members and ensure we are staying on track. On Sundays, we have an executive board meeting at 5 pm before our chapter meeting. We go in gavel order and discuss our updates for the week and our future plans! 

HC: How do you balance sorority life and personal life?

AG: Balancing sorority life and my personal life has been hard. With taking six classes and working, I struggled at the beginning of my term to keep up with both school and my president responsibilities. I have found a balance by allocating specific times during the day for sorority stuff and spending certain times only on homework. Around eight pm, I focus only on school and my personal life. Any texts or calls I receive can wait until the next day unless it is urgent.

HC: What do you wish people knew about being a sorority?

AG: I wish people knew that it is normal for it to take time for your chapter to feel like your home. Creating a bond is not something that happens overnight but is something members grow into.

HC: What’s your why?

AG: My why is the support system I see in SDT. During spirit week, we do a “why” circle. This is where we all sit in a circle and members take turns sharing their why. Seeing how vulnerable sisters were willing to be made it feel like such a special moment. My sisters make me feel comfortable enough to be vulnerable with them and I know they are there to support me.

HC: How has being a sister of Sigma Delta Tau impacted your life?

AG: Being a sister of Sigma Delta Tau has impacted who I am. Upon entering FSU, I was shy, quiet, and nervous. Through the sisterhood and opportunities I have been given as a member, I am more confident in myself than I have ever been. If you told me three years ago that I would be the president of a sorority, I never would have believed you. The support, confidence, and love from my sisters have encouraged me to put myself out there and achieve my goals. 

From Vice President of Panhellenic Relations to President Alessa has proven herself as a leader within her chapter. However, she is involved in other organizations on campus as well including being a member of both Order of Omega and the Sports Management Student Association on campus. Her dedication to her chapter is truly inspiring and I am grateful that she was able to give us some insight into her role and her chapter.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Lauren is a Senior at Florida State University double majoring in Business Management and Marketing with a minor in Communications. She enjoys reading, traveling and spending time with her friends and family.