Culture > News

FSU Students Visit Florida Capitol to Comment on Permitless Conceal Carry Bill

Filed on Jan. 30, House Bill 543 would allow for the concealed carry of weapons and firearms without a permit. While this bill does include stipulations that would not allow for the concealed carry of weapons, like guns, on college campuses, many students (on Florida State’s campus and across the rest of the state) have been vocal about their feelings regarding the bill.

HB 543 was referred to the Constitutional Rights, Rule of Law and Government Operations Subcommittee and Judiciary Committee when it was filed and needs to be voted up at each stop to be placed on the House agenda. While it can be confusing trying to understand how an idea can become law in Florida, the Florida House of Representatives does provide some information to the public.

The bill was heard during the Constitutional Rights, Rule of Law and Government Operations Subcommittee on Tuesday, Feb. 6, and more than 100 people attended to provide public comment as a proponent/opponents of the bill. Dozens of these public commenters were Florida State University students, most of whom spoke out about the dangers of passing a bill like this one.

There were a couple of students, affiliated with Young Americans for Liberty, speaking in support of allowing concealed carry on college campuses. The majority of students were speaking as representatives of organizations like March for Our Lives and Students Demand Action, who work to advocate for stricter gun regulations.

Of those who spoke out as “opponents” of the bill, there were two arguments. One argument, which was made mostly by older folks who identify as Republicans, was that this bill does not go far enough. If HB 543 were to pass, few regulations would still be in place: a gun owner must be over the age of 21, conceal carry their weapon and not carry a weapon into a “safe zone” (i.e. schools, college campuses, government facilities, etc.).  Those who believe the bill does not go far enough said this is “not a true open carry bill” and asked the legislature to “take it a step further.”

The other argument made in opposition to HB 543, which was made mostly by students who identify as Democrats or progressives, was that this bill would put people in danger. The bill would allow people to purchase and carry a firearm without completing a background check or any sort of training. With more than 1,000 mass shootings taking place across the United States in the past two years, these opponents fear that permitless concealed carry would put guns into the hands of the wrong people—whether that is dangerous or uneducated individuals who cannot responsibly use a firearm.

I personally testified as a volunteer with Students Demand Action arguing that this bill would put all people in danger but especially our youth.

After hearing the testimonies of the commenters, the subcommittee voted in support of HB 543, and it will be heard in the Judiciary Committee sometime this week. Students can sign up to provide public comments using this form.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

My name is Alexis Dorman and I am a second-year, honors student at Florida State University. I am pursuing a dual degree in International Affairs and Political Science, with minors in Chinese and Education. For the past 8 years, I've spent my time volunteering, participating in a variety of clubs and extracurricular activities, and making the most of my educational career. I am passionate about international affairs, political science, current events, and diplomacy. Aside from my academic interests I enjoy writing, art, music, and movies!