From Golden Snitches to Dodgeballs: FSU’s Quadball Club

When I first learned Florida State University had its very own Quidditch team, I honestly didn’t believe it. I grew up reading and watching Harry Potter, but never did I imagine that the game where students fly on broomsticks trying to catch a mystical golden ball could sprout the beginnings of a real competitive college sport.

Maybe you’ve never heard of the FSU Quadball Club, or if you’ve seen them practicing on Landis Green, you’ve never stopped to actually look at what they’re doing. After speaking with Owen Weekly, the president of the team, I’ve realized that the sport is definitely not what I expected. If you were hoping that the team would be decked out in Hogwarts robes and discussing what house they would be in, you couldn’t be further from the truth.

The FSU Quadball Club was formed in 2011. Back then, it was known as Quidditch, but recently, the name of the sport was changed in order to sever ties with the Harry Potter franchise and become a legitimate sport. In Weekly’s own words, “Most players have never read the books. I see it as something separate, which it is.”

Since then, the sport has continued to be played among FSU students from all different types of sports backgrounds. Teams are divided into six to seven players at a time with four positions that can be played: Chasers, Beaters, Keepers, and the Seeker. Each team has three hoops they have to defend and prevent the opposing team from scoring into.

Chasers and Keepers are responsible for passing the volleyball to score in one of the hoops. Beaters hit other players with a dodgeball, resulting in the struck player having to drop everything and go back to their team’s hoop before they can continue playing. Lastly, the Seeker has to catch the flag (the Snitch) attached to an impartial official called the Flag Runner. The Seeker joins later in the game, and catching the flag gains the winning team extra points.

Weekly has been playing for three years. He began his freshman year when he was looking for something to keep him busy and active. Since then, his passion for the sport has only increased. When asked if he would continue playing after college, he replied: “Hopefully, yes. Quadball has teams all across the United States and the world.”

The sport has grown so much since its founding that the International Quadball Association was created. There have been multiple U.S. World Cups and international games with over 30 official member nations having Quadball teams. Official tournaments have been held all around the world, including in Canada, Germany, and Italy. In 2023, FSU’s Quadball Club competed in the Swamp Cup against the University of Florida’s team.

The sport has often been compared to rugby and dodgeball. Weekly even describes it as a “melting pot of athletic experience and style.” The comparisons don’t do it justice; what other sport can you name that has people full-body tackling each other while dodging dodgeballs and throwing volleyballs in hoops? One of the best parts is that it’s a co-ed sport that anyone can enjoy, regardless of athletic ability.

With so many different clubs offered at FSU, it’s nearly impossible to be aware of all of them, and so many organizations, like the Quadball Club, go unseen. If you’re interested in getting into the Quadball world, this is your time! Weekly advises, “If you’re looking for a unique and competitive experience, then we’d be happy to have you.”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Glorimar Pagan is a Freshman at Florida State University majoring in Creative Writing. She is a staff writer at the Her Campus FSU chapter where she enjoys writing about pop culture, campus news, and books. She can usually be found reading outdoors, playing the guitar, or daydreaming about her mom's Puerto Rican cooking.