Try These Tallahassee Restaurants to Fall in Love With the Flavors of Hispanic Heritage

As the temperature begins to drop in Tallahassee, what better way to stay warm than with the savory experience that Hispanic cuisine offers? This Hispanic Heritage Month, consider trying these restaurants that are all within a few miles of campus. I hope these recommendations can serve their purpose in ailing any food-related homesickness for students of Hispanic descent, as well as anyone who wants to expand their palate. 

El Rincón Latino

Nestled on the corner of busy West Tennessee Street is El Rincón Latino, which is brightly painted with the vibrant colors of the Colombian flag. This gem is hard to miss. The restaurant holds a special place in my heart as it is one of the only places around Tallahassee to find authentic Colombian food. Whenever I walk through the door, I feel entranced by how immersive the decor is. All the walls are decorated with pieces of Colombian culture. The cozy and homey ambiance can make anyone feel like they are in for a soul-healing meal. 

El Rincón has a long menu that features many staple dishes and sides from Colombia. If you’re looking for a hearty meal, my go-to is always the bandeja paisa. This dish comes with rice, beans, fried pork belly, steak, Colombian sausage, arepas, and a side salad. If it’s too much food for you to eat in one sitting, I promise it’s just as tasty when it’s warmed up as leftovers. If you’re looking for more of a lighter snack, I would recommend getting empanadas, which are fried dough that’s crispy on the outside with a mouthwatering interior of spices and meat.

The address is 2010 West Tennessee St., Tallahassee, FL 32304, or you can order delivery through GrubHub or Uber Eats when you search the name “Super Perros.” The restaurant had a name change, but delivery apps still have it under the previous name. 

Taco mora

Taco Mora specializes in Mexican cuisine. Their vast menu carries everything from a variety of dips to sizzling fajitas. When your friend group is craving different things, everyone is likely to find something they enjoy from this menu. The interior of the restaurant is sleek and features both high-top and booth seating, perfect if you want to bring a group or a date. 

As a starter, I would recommend the Garnet & Gold nachos because it could, in spirit, help our currently undefeated football team continue to reign. This appetizer comes with your choice of shredded chicken or ground beef with an array of toppings, like cheese and beans. As a main course, I usually get the Hot Cheeto queso birria tacos. This dish is comprised of three tacos filled with shredded beef, cilantro, queso blanco, and topped off with Flamin’ Hot Cheetos. It also comes with a side of birria, a traditional Mexican stew, to dip the tacos in. While the Cheetos might seem like a strange addition at first, they add the perfect crunch to the dish. 

If you have a sweet tooth, they also carry a wide range of fruit-flavored Mexican sodas and different desserts. Churros, which are deep-fried dough covered in sugar, are always a safe and delicious choice.

Taco Mora’s address is 1915 West Pensacola St., Tallahassee, FL 32304. You can also place orders for delivery or takeout through GrubHub or Uber Eats.

Habana’s Boardwalk

For great Cuban cuisine, Habana’s Boardwalk is the place to go! Along with their traditional Cuban dishes, they also carry items from different Latin countries. The walls are lined with art pieces and sculptures that make the location feel genuine to the culture that it represents. Similar to the previous restaurants, Habana’s features a lengthy menu with a variety to choose from. The flavors present in their meals remind me of the many Cuban restaurants around my hometown, which is a good indicator that the chefs know how to cook authentic Cuban food. 

Ropa vieja and vaca frita are two of the most iconic Cuban dishes and a must-try if you have never had them. Ropa vieja, which translates in English to “old clothes,” refers to the appearance of slow-cooked, shredded beef in a tomato-based sauce with different vegetables and seasoning. Vaca frita, my personal favorite, is fried, shredded skirt steak topped with onions and served with a side of rice and black beans. The restaurant also offers many shareable appetizers, Cuban sandwiches served on delicious buttery bread, and desserts.

Habana’s Boardwalk is located at 2819 Mahan Drive #126, Tallahassee, FL 32308. You can order online for delivery or takeout through DoorDash.  

Hispanic culture is rich with a long history behind it, food included. Feel free to visit these restaurants and let your tastebuds travel across Colombia, Mexico, and Cuba without ever having to leave Tallahassee. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Maya Shah is a staff writer at Her Campus at the FSU chapter. She is a Marketing major with a minor in Hispanic Marketing Communications.