Campus Celebrity: Selena Fogel

This semester, HC FSU picked up a lot of new members, including two seniors who will leave our team at the end of the semester. Both seniors, Megan Elliott and Selena Fogel will be graduating at the end of April.

21-year-old Selena Fogel majored in Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Communications. She attended Florida State all four years and was a contributing writer for Her Campus FSU for her last semester here. When asked what her plans were after graduating she said, “I don’t have an exact plan for when I graduate and for once in my life I am okay with that. I hope to stay in Tallahassee for one last summer before I leave to embrace a new city, lifestyle and essentially a whole new world. Over the summer I plan on interning for a broadcasting station and study for the GRE. I want to continue my education, earning my graduate degree in a more specialized field of communications. After summer, I’ll more than likely move back to south Florida and hopefully be waiting to hear from Universities around the country. I can’t wait to see where life takes me.”

(C.H.I.C.K.S. Homecoming Skit)

During Selena’s time here at FSU, she has earned many positions including External Relations chair for C.H.I.C.S.@FSU (Caring and Helping in Community Service), Homecoming Representative 2009, Public Relations and Marketing Committee for Homecoming 2010, Magazine Intern in Fort Lauderdale and a contributing writer for Her Campus FSU, amongst several others. She admitted, “I loved being involved at Florida State and after interning for a magazine in Fort Lauderdale, Her Campus seemed like the perfect way to end my college career.”

When asked about her experience with HC FSU, she described it as, “a youthful, dynamic and innovative magazine.” Selena also said, “I am sure HC FSU will continue being a success. Working with Her Campus was more than a resume builder, it gave me the opportunity to write as well as give advice about the university and city I have grown to love so much. The girls who construct this magazine are not only dedicated, hard working and creative but are a lot of fun. One of my favorite memories with Her Campus is when a few of the girls created a game show video for Presidents Day and interviewed students on campus. All of these positions not only helped me create a dynamic resume and gave me real life experience but made my life as a NOLE incredible.” 

Usually when freshmen first arrive here at FSU they either love it or hate it. When Selena first came to FSU as a freshman, she admitted many issues she faced that all freshmen go through. “When I first arrived at FSU, I was scared that I was never going to feel at home here. I hated the city, the hills and the dorms; it was all so different from south Florida. However, I was proved more than wrong as my original thoughts turned out to be the exact opposite. Florida State is my home and I couldn’t have asked for more. My education, my experiences and the friendships that I have created here are priceless. I will carry these connections with me for the rest of my life.”

When asked what her most memorable experience at FSU was she answered, “It’s an accumulation of my experiences at FSU, whether it be Landis Green, Ms. Killings at Suwannee Dining Hall, the football games, the Nite Nole, Strozier parties, Market Wednesdays in the Union, swimming in the fountain, or drunken debauchery that has made my time here unforgettable. I could never choose just one. My advice to a freshman, besides just living life and always visiting your advisor, is to get as involved as you can with the university. College is a blip of time in our life and everyone should enjoy it to their maximum capabilities.”

With Graduation just around the corner, we asked Selena what her emotions regarding this important event were and she said, “While the Seminole nation gave the drive to succeed in the “real world,” graduation is bittersweet. Despite the graduation sweats, the onset of embracing the unknown is exciting. It’s an opportunity that wasn’t presented to us before, the options and opportunities seem limitless. Every choice you make can affect the rest of your life, which is why this change, out of our comfort zone, can be so intimidating. While the pressure is high, I have to remind myself that we’re young and this is the time to live our life to the fullest, despite what [we] may [see] as limitations.” After graduation, Selena shared that her biggest concern with leaving FSU behind, “is possibly leaving or losing friends that have become like my family. However, I know that just like when I arrived at FSU, this new change will present an equal amount of opportunities if not more. I can only hope to be happier and more successful in the future, but if I am as happy in the future as I am now, I know I’ll have a great life.”

Viviana Victoria is a sophomore at the Florida State University, class of 2013, double majoring in Retail Merchandising & Product Development and the new English track offered at FSU, editing, writing, and media. Born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida, moving up to Tallahassee was quite a change. During her first year in college, after changing her major three times, she was fortunate enough to discover her passion for writing this early on. Her goal is to write for a major fashion magazine or to be a screenplay writer in the future. She is an active member of the Collegiate Merchandising Association (CMA) at FSU, as well as a contributing writer of College Magazine, an advice publication for college students founded by a graduate student of Maryland. Some of her interests include playing sports, reading, working out, and basically having a good time. Her ultimate life goal is to touch lives and to be remembered as the girl who always made people smile regardless of what was thrown her way.