For Black History month, Florida State Black Student Union (also known as BSU) is presenting events every day for the whole month of February. One of the events they work so tirelessly to showcase to students is Afro-Funk fest which is set to occur on Feb. 24. This event is highlighted as one of the big occasions for black history month that will illustrate black talent and black business. So, buckle your seat belts because BSU plans on taking students on an adventure to demonstrate black excellence.

The 2022-2023 academic school year executive board member Cierra Cooks was able to answer some questions regarding Afro-funk fest. Cierra is a Junior from Orlando, majoring in political science and minoring in international affairs. Her hobbies include listening to music, hanging out with friends and exploring new sites on campus. Cierra serves as one of the social and events coordinators at BSU, so she has overseen the planning for Afro-Funk fest. Here is what she has to say about her process in arranging Afro-Funk fest and what to expect.

Her Campus (HC): What is Afro-Funk fest? 

Cierra Cooks (CC): Afro-Funk Fest is an annual event that the Black Student Union hosts to serve as kind of a finale for Black History Month. It aims to create a culturally enriching experience for not only Black students but all students who are interested in seeing what the Black community on our campus has to offer. It’s structured similarly to well-known music festivals such as Coachella and involves many entertaining and interactive elements for all students to enjoy and remember.

HC: What can students expect to see at Afro-Funk fest? 

CC: Students can expect to see a wide variety of things. There’ll be live performances, food, games and a bunch of other cool aspects that will make this festival one to remember.

HC: How did y’all come up with the idea to create Afro-Funk fest? 

CC: Afro-Funk Fest is an annual Black Student Union tradition that has been continued over many years.

HC: Tell us about the journey of making Afro-Funk fest possible.

CC: With large-scale events, you always find that many pieces are working together to make the event as awesome as possible. So, the journey in making this event happen just mainly involves getting all the pieces in order and making sure they work together smoothly!

HC: What are you excited to showcase at Afro-Funk fest?

CC: I’m most excited to showcase the student art gallery! I think it’s a unique aspect and even I will probably have some art on display! 

HC: Is there anything else you want to share about this event? 

CC: It’s going to be super fun! Also, make sure to bring blankets if you want to stop to enjoy the live performances as they will be happening simultaneously with the other aspects of the event! Like a music festival!

After speaking with Cierra, I’m excited about what Afro-Funk fest has in store and I hope you all are too! This is an amazing way to showcase Black culture and talent here on campus where this is limited. Creating a space where students feel comfortable expressing and enjoying themselves is important for Black students that attend this predominantly white institution. So, save the date and get ready for this amazing experience BSU has to offer.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Heyy guys I'm a sophomore majoring in English: Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in humanities and information, communication, technology! :)