FSU’s Eva Killings On Retiring From a Lifetime of Love and Service

For 48 years, Eva Killings has been a beloved figure within the Florida State University community, touching the lives of several generations of students and faculty. From her early days in the student dining hall, to earning the title of “Seminole Dining Ambassador” and unofficially (yet fittingly), FSU’s “Love Ambassador,” Ms. Killings has been a source of care and support for everybody she encounters. Now, as she approaches retirement, the FSU community is giving back to help her in the same way she has done for so long. 

Ms. Killings’ journey with the university food operations has seen her at nearly every campus location. Today, with the addition of the new Student Union, you can find her inside welcoming and embracing everyone who passes through. Reflecting on her role in an exclusive interview with Her Campus at FSU, Ms. Killings shares, “I raised three [children] of my own. I just want to make sure I take care of all [the students]. It’s been a very great experience for me. I really love [everybody] so much and treat each student like [they] are my own babies.”

When I got the opportunity to speak with Ms. Killings, she recounted numerous instances where she has gone above and beyond for students, whether helping them through illness or providing support during academic or familial challenges. She wants students to know that they always have someone here who loves them and she will always go out of her way to help.

Throughout her time at FSU, Ms. Killings has gained experiences from every corner of campus. Among her fondest memories is the opportunity to speak in hospitality classes. “My first time I spoke, I started crying because I couldn’t believe I was speaking to this big class,” she says. “I never even dreamed of doing that.” Now, even when she ventures off campus or out of town altogether, she says people approach her, recognizing her from their time at FSU — a true testament to the impact she has.

Ms. Killings describes FSU as her home and a source of strength. Amidst personal challenges, she surrounds herself with a community that is meaningful to her. She even has the privilege of seeing her youngest grandson, a freshman attending school here at FSU, daily when he visits her in the Student Union between classes. 

After nearly half a century of working at FSU, Ms. Killings announced that she has begun planning for retirement in the near future. Increased health problems have prompted her decision to step back. However, her commitment to the community remains unwavering. “Even when I’m no longer on the clock, I want to volunteer and come and take care of [everybody] still. I’m never leaving Florida State,” she asserts. 

Until recently, Ms. Killings didn’t have the opportunity for a sustainable retirement fund with her ever-changing positions. In response, the FSU community is rallying to give back to Ms. Killings. A GoFundMe initiated by her niece is raising money for her retirement and medical funds, offering those who have been touched by her love a chance to contribute. Madison Social is selling Eva Killings T-shirts and even hosting her as a guest bartender on Dec. 6, with proceeds contributing to her well-deserved retirement. “I don’t know anything about bartending. But it will be a great feeling to see how many come and see their faces. I never dreamed of anything like this happening for me.” Ms. Killings says. 

For those who wish to express their appreciation and support, I encourage you to consider donating to Eva Killings’ retirement GoFundMe or attending her guest appearance at Madison Social (if you’re over the age of 21). Allow us to join hands in celebrating and giving back to Ms. Killings who has created a special legacy of love, care, and a sense of family.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Nola Ulik is a staff writer at the Her Campus FSU chapter. She writes articles biweekly covering culture, lifestyle, and campus news. In addition to being a staff writer, Nola is a student at Florida State University studying media and communications and minoring in spanish, and is a member of the ADPi sorority.