Attend These 3 Spring Events to Close Out Your Freshman Year at FSU

Freshman year is a chance to take advantage of exploring the events offered at FSU in your spare time. Take it from me, a senior who had her freshman year snatched by the pandemic: You don’t want to wait until the last minute to be scrambling to participate in as many events as possible so you don’t regret it after graduation. From my experience, you only get busier as the years pass, so you might as well attend the most popular campus events to at least say you tried them.

Although the spring semester isn’t as dense with welcoming events as fall, there’s always an event happening on campus. Even though I’m only going to be giving you three main events, always remember that the FSU Events Calendar website is something you should practically live by to always be in the know about what’s happening on campus.

Watch a Movie at the slc

If you haven’t gone to our on-campus movie theater, I hate to say it, but you’re absolutely missing out. Where else are you going to see a free movie? You get to watch blockbusters, small indies, documentaries, and even foreign films. Honestly, I only started going to the ASLC in my junior year, which is a shame. I had such a good time in a packed theater watching Gone Girl with collective gasps and even laughs. It was such a unique experience that I can only get from a theater filled with FSU students. Have a look at the ASLC website, follow their Instagram to stay up to date on their show dates, and keep an eye out for posters and showtimes they display near their building.

Attend a Basketball Game

If you didn’t get the chance to attend our football games or just want to attend more sports events, FSU basketball games are where you need to be. My first basketball game was so integral to my freshman experience. It was a nail-biting tie until the last few seconds when FSU scored. The crowd’s reaction was absolutely insane, and I got the chance to be a part of that. It felt straight out of those ’80s feel-good sports movies and will always be a highlight when I look back at my time on campus. All the game dates up until March 9 have been posted, so be on the lookout for emails regarding how to secure your tickets.

Check Out the Circus

Don’t write off the FSU Flying High Circus. I know a lot of freshmen don’t get around to looking into the FSU Circus, and I’m on a mission to change that. Their events were something that I waited late to attend, and I really wish I hadn’t. Their shows don’t start until April, but it’s always good to have them in the back of your mind. Go with your friends and make it a date! We’re one of the few campuses with a circus, so you might as well take advantage of a free circus performance.

As a senior who had to make the most of my college experience in my junior year, it’s never too late to get involved on campus; I want to give you tips on how to get ahead on the fun. Know that if you don’t get to experience these events freshman year, you’re not doomed. But if you had a hard time adjusting last semester, I know that getting involved is a way to help remedy that feeling of being a fish out of water. It’s important to make an effort to keep up with your campus engagement so FSU feels more like a community and less like just a college you attend.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Neissa Philemon is a pre-medical student who is incredibly interested in the arts, pop culture, literature, and everything in between. She hopes to become a dermatologist.