Florida State University\'s Westcott building
Jackson Meyers

FSU Ins and Outs for 2024

Coming back to school post-break, we’ve welcomed 2024 in true Tallahassee fashion. With a chaotic drop/add week, a never-ending syllabus week of festivities, and a subsequently horrible case of the Sunday Scaries, you can forget generic resolutions. We’re diving into the nitty-gritty of what’s hot on campus and what’s, well, so last semester.

Ins

Skincare routine

We’ve all been there. It’s the end of a long night and all you want to do is crawl in bed (maybe with some D.P. Dough). Maybe if you’re good, you’ll use a makeup wipe, but even that feels like the most daunting task. Let’s be realistic: We don’t have the time, money, and energy to invest in a 12-step skincare routine, nor is that sustainable for an everyday habit.

I’ve found that less is more. A three-product skincare routine is what works best for me. The three products are a cleanser, a toner, and a good moisturizer. I throw in some hyaluronic acid drops from The Ordinary at the end since my skin tends to get a bit dry in the winter, but that’s completely optional. With this simplified routine, I’ve been able to actually commit to doing it every night. I also find that my skin looks even better because I’m not slapping a bunch of different products on my face and hoping for the best.

Basketball games

Having an undefeated football team this year made for the best tailgates and game atmosphere. Coming back from break, I know I’m not the only one missing that right now. And let’s be real, after the whole College Football Playoff debacle that left us scratching our heads and wondering if the playoff committee understood the meaning of fairness, we needed a fresh start.

Growing up in a city that doesn’t have an NBA team, I never really got to experience the thrills of a high-stakes basketball game. I went to my first FSU basketball game last year and let me tell you, I had the time of my life. The games are fast-paced and exciting, everyone is decked out in garnet and gold, and it’s something different to do with your friends. So, this semester, we’re making basketball the new football because let’s face it: the Noles know how to turn any event into a good time.

Strozier

Stop gaslighting yourself into thinking you can do work in bed. Just go. You can reward yourself after with coffee.

Hot girl walks

Let’s face it, cardio sucks. I’m someone who loves going to the gym and has consistently gone for a little over three years now. Yet if you told me to run on a treadmill or go on a stair climber for over five minutes, I’d cry. Still, I needed to figure out a way to incorporate cardio into my workout split.

I found that low-intensity cardio is the solution. Three ways to do this while at school are by making it a point to walk to class every day, walking on campus with friends, or going to the Leach (or any gym) and doing 12-3-30 on the treadmill. That’s setting the treadmill on a 12-incline going three miles per hour for 30 minutes. Bonus points if you listen to a podcast while doing it!

OUTS

Situationships

It’s time to ditch the ambiguity. No more navigating the confusing world of undefined relationships. “If he wanted to, he would” is a tough, but necessary pill to swallow. Someone who doesn’t want to give you a label doesn’t value you enough. You deserve more. In 2024, we are choosing clarity, communication, and genuine connections.

The McDonald’s on Tennessee Street after 1 a.m.

If you know, you know.

Skipping class (no, you won’t do it just this once)

We’ve all been there: you decide to skip class one day and suddenly it’s been two weeks since you’ve gone. We aren’t doing this in 2024. Even if you sit in the lecture and online shop the whole time, that’s okay. Just go to class. It’ll help you in the long run. Attending class regularly allows you to decode your professors’ preferences and expectations and see which specific topics they emphasize. This insight becomes a strategic advantage when approaching assignments, exams, and guidance during office hours.

Stay with what’s hot and ditch what’s not in 2024!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Veronica Eichberg is a dedicated staff writer for the Her Campus at Florida State University. As a Hispanic and Jewish female, Veronica is passionate about finding your voice through writing. Her dedicated approach to journalism is also shaped by her wide array of interests ranging anywhere from politics to pop-culture.  Veronica is currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Political Science and International Affairs at Florida State University, she has served as a Field Representative Intern for Pennsylvania State Senator Devlin Robinson and actively engaged in local politics as a Student Campaign Promoter for Leon County. Her campus involvement includes being the Director of Mental health and Recreation for the FSU Honors Student Association, Student Senate and directing social awareness efforts in the Delta Gamma Sorority. Veronica is a passionate advocate for mental health, a skilled debater, and a speaker with thought-provoking TEDx talks.  In her free time, Veronica enjoys going to the gym, thrifting, listening to music and reality TV.