International Coffee Hour: Let’s Talk About It

While being on a college campus away from home, there are very few opportunities where one can really branch out their food tastes and be exposed to various dishes. International Coffee Hour has changed that for students here at Florida State University. 

International Coffee Hour, run by the Center of Global Engagement, is an event that takes place every Friday on campus and is co-hosted by a different multicultural organization each week. At this event, organizations can share their culture’s staple cuisines with the FSU student body. Since there are a variety of international students at this university, ICH allows them to have a piece of home while away at school, even if it’s just for one day. Throughout the academic school year, close to 30 cultural organizations co-host International Coffee Hour. These organizations include the Iranian Student Association, German Club and Caribbean Students’ Association, just to name a few. 

In addition to introducing foreign dishes to students, friendship and community are built at the International Coffee Hours. Upon retrieving your dish, students are directed to a common dining room where they have the opportunity to socialize and bond with one another. On select Fridays, co-hosts will share even more of their culture in different ways. This could take the form of informational tabling and musical performances. 

Students on this campus truly value the cultural experience that these Friday evenings provide them. Ashlee Williams, a second-year student at FSU, shines a light on her involvement with International Coffee Hour each week. She says, “As someone who goes to International Coffee Hour often, I think it is a great place to try different cuisines from different countries. It’s also a great opportunity to meet people that you wouldn’t talk to on a daily basis.” She continues, “I’ve had conversations with international grad students about their experiences living in a different country, coming to Tallahassee, and just cultural differences from their point of view. These are conversations I would have never had if it wasn’t for these weekly events.”

Additionally, another second-year student Nicolette Stanton shared her favorite ICH dish and the benefits these cuisines reap. She says, “The dish I’ve liked the most so far at International Coffee Hour is the ‘Samosa and Masala Chai’ hosted by the South Asian Student Association. Dishes like these are beneficial because they give you a taste of the beauty that each culture holds. I try to bring my friends out with me every week to unique opportunities like this.”

If you’re a student at FSU, International Coffee Hour is a very enriching (and clearly delicious) experience that allows you to expand your cultural horizons and food palette. I highly recommend attending at least once, even if it’s just for the ambiance. There are so many opportunities to form connections and explore a new part of your college life. The event takes place on-campus every Friday from 5-6:30 p.m. at The Globe!

Keep up with ICH and the Center of Global Engagement on social media: Instagram, Twitter and Facebook!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Leann Taylor is a student at Florida State University who's currently pursuing a double major in Marketing and Advertising. In her free time she loves making jewelry, taking pictures, eating anything sweet, and traveling!