Bryan Velasco Talks Frat Life, Risk Management and a Little Mike Tyson

Name: Bryan Velasco

Hometown: Miami, FL

Year: Sophomore

Age: 19

Major: Finance

Relationship Status: Single

Bryan Velasco: The ultimate boy next door and a cutie with an adorable smile. Ambition is his middle name, frat boy is his game. He’s single with an incredible dream date in mind for Mrs. Right. Sound too good to be true? Ladies, meet your next Campus Cutie Bryan Velasco.

Her Campus (HC): So you got through freshman year. How was it?

Bryan Velasco (BV): Honestly, I would pay an infinite amount of money to get it back. I miss the dorms and the kids I lived with. It’s not like high school. Here, no one gives a sh*t, you’re just a new person going through what everyone else went through. I don’t regret anything from my freshman year.

HC: What three words would you use to describe yourself?

BV: Empathetic, dedicated, hard-working. 

Courtesy: Bryan Velasco

HC: Favorite memory?

BV: I have a lot of them. My favorite memory – there’s two. One is a brotherhood paintball trip up in Georgia. That was a great time. It was an older guys vs. younger guys type of thing, but we showed them up. And the day I accepted my bid [to Zeta Beta Tau].

HC: How did you know that Zeta Beta Tau was the right fraternity for you?

BV: My brother was in it, and I got to meet a lot of the guys up here beforehand. We got to hang out and I just liked all of the guys. Everyone was easy to talk to, which was my main thing.

HC: How have you been involved in ZBT?

BV: Well first semester I pulled my weight and did a lot of building stuff. This year I’m in risk management and am looking to move up.

HC: What exactly does risk management do?

BV: The actual definition is to “increase awareness among the fraternity’s brothers, leaders and alumni volunteers on issues of risk management and legal liabilities.” It’s just basically making sure the brotherhood is safe.

Courtesy: Bryan Velasco

HC: Was there ever a moment where you really knew that FSU was the right choice for you?

BV: Well I only applied to three schools, including UF, but that was NEVER an option. It was really between West Point and FSU, which are extreme opposites. I just really like order and I love it here. I’m looking to possibly do military in the future.

HC: So how else are you involved on campus?

BV: I’m in the Security Society. It’s a new club started last year. It’s stocks and stuff. I was looking to be in SGA as well, but I’m just too busy right now.

HC: Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?

BV: I’ll never be satisfied unless I’m a millionaire. I’ll always be striving to make money. I know money can’t make happiness but it does get rid of a lot of problems. I just want to have a safety blanket, I really don’t have to be a millionaire, but I don’t want to ever have to worry about money.

HC: What would be your dream date?

BV: My dream date? I don’t know, I like a lot of outdoors stuff. I went to Alaska [pictured below] two summers ago on a cruise and there’s a place called the hanger. In Alaska everyone travels by sea planes. So have you ever been to a restaurant with a dock and you can see the boats? Well, replace all the boats with planes and that’s what Alaska is like. So [the hangar is] like a little cove with mountains on either side and snow caps on them. I would do brunch there because you can’t enjoy it in the dark, or a sunrise breakfast. 

Courtesy: Bryan Velasco

HC: So to wrap it up we’re just going to do a game of would you rather. Would you rather always lose or never play?

BV: I don’t care if I win, I care if I have a good time. My parents never pushed me too hard to have to win, but if I wanted to play something they wanted me to give 100 percent.

HC: Would you rather fight Mike Tyson or have to talk like him for the rest of your life?

BV: Fight him.

HC: Why?

BV: He’s an old man! I’d rather get beaten up for 30 seconds than talk like that for 60 years. Hell no.

HC: Would you rather live one life that lasts 1,000 years or live 10 lives that last 100 years each?

BV: 10 lives because you could always improve. Wait… so would I age in the 1,000 years? Or stay the same? Could I remember each of my former lives if I choose the 10?

HC: Would you rather change the past or be able to see into the future?

BV: I’d rather change the past. Sometimes I just don’t like the way people perceive me, I’d rather be able to change it. People can be shallow; once you mess up, it’s over. People don’t forget so I’d rather change the past. I want the future to be unknown.

HC: Would you rather find true love or 10 million dollars?  

BV: True love. I feel like I would end up making 10 million dollars anyways. Think about it: if I choose 10 million dollars girls are only going to be looking at me for my money anyways. 

Writing is my passion. How I Met Your Mother is my favorite tv show (along with Gossip Girl, Modern Family, and American Horror Story). Travelling is an obsession, I am a victim of wanderlust. I worship the sunshine. Pasta is my go-to meal. Coffee is my drink of choice (or maybe a glass of Riesling).
Her Campus at Florida State University.