Bringing Back Brunch: The 4 Best Places to Have Brunch in Tallahassee

1. The Bada Bean

With the theme and décor of the 1920s, several gangster movie posters, and the smell of skillets and hot coffee greeting you at the door, you know you’ve come to the right place to have a fantastic meal. Their menu is just as unique as the décor, serving up the sweet and savory sides of breakfast, and not to mention fresh (and amazing!) self serve coffee. This is definitely a great place if you’re hungry; whether you’re getting any one of their pancake stacks, sandwiches, or a more traditional breakfast, you will more than likely find yourself bringing home leftovers—which you’ll so be glad you have later. After all, their motto is quite literally homemade, just like mom used to make.

Favorite Pick: As both the sweet and savory have something to offer, there’s two savory items on this menu that are worth checking out. First up is the Butcher’s Block, which is two eggs over corned beef hash, and second is the Country Skillet, which is everything you could want in an omelet, turned inside out, and poured over homefries. Highly, highly recommended. 

Courtesy: The Bada Bean

2. Uptown Café

Tucked away on Miccosukee and Magnolia and covered in vines is Uptown Café, a traditional looking, at home feeling diner with a unique menu. Here, you can find a variety of items such as the Philly Cheese omelet (which is exactly what it sounds like), Banana Bread French Toast and Garlic Dill Cream Cheese Grits. Plus, if you’re an orange juice fan, they happily serve Natalie’s. If these dishes aren’t enough to get you excited, just wait until you sit outside. As Tallahassee begins to cool down, more people make the move to Uptown’s adorable patio area surrounded by potted plants, seasonal flowers, and more vines, of course. With a quaint location and friendly staff, Uptown Café is the perfect place for brunch.

Favorite Pick: Bacon Pancakes. Yep, that’s right, they cook full strips of bacon right into their pancakes. No need for further explanation. 

Courtesy: Visit Florida

3. Madison Social

What does brunch at Madison Social mean? Cocktails on cocktails on cocktails. In addition to having an impressive drink menu, MadSo offers a delectable brunch menu, including items such as Guinness Chicken and Waffles (because what’s a brunch menu without chicken and waffles?) and Greek Egg Skillet—as well as the MadSo Burger and Smoky Red Pepper Hummus, if your brunch time happens to be closer to lunchtime. In addition, the atmosphere is one unique to Tally: friendly and open (quite literally sometimes), Madison Social is a great place to bring as many friends as you can together. 

Favorite Pick: This one definitely depends; if you go for breakfast, you have to go for Guinness Chicken and Waffles. However, if you happen to be feeling lunch, definitely try the MadSo Burger or the Smoky Red Pepper Hummus.

Courtesy: Tally Connection

4. Paisley Cafe

Right beside the delicious Lucy and Leo’s Cupcakery lies just about the most adorable décor on Thomasville Road. The outside gives off a warm, homey feeling. As you open the door, you feel as if you’ve set foot inside the tea party from Alice in Wonderland. Colorful walls, different chairs at every table—different tables in front of every chair—and patterns galore. You will definitely feel like you are at the world’s cutest tea party. However décor isn’t the only thing Paisley knows; it is a fact that Paisley Café knows good food. Their menu is quite possibly like nothing you’ve ever read before, and the same goes for the taste. With combinations such as blackberries and chicken salad and turkey and apple butter, you may be encouraged to try something out of the norm—and it is undoubtedly worth it.

Favorite Pick: This is a toss up too. If you’re going for brunch, the Grits & Collards, two things that Paisley does like no other. If it’s lunchtime you’re feeling, the Paisley Chicken Salad Croissant is a must try. 

Courtesy: Drive the Nation

Alexandra Pushkin is a student at Florida State University. Following graduation, she will continue to work toward her goal of becoming an editor. Born and raised in Miami, Florida, she is fascinated and inspired by art in all its forms, and often experiments with different media (fashion and DIY are her middle names). In her spare time she enjoys tending to her garden, reading interior design books, throwing brunches with her lovely friends, and cooking, of course. Three words: pumpkin cheesecake cups.
Her Campus at Florida State University.