Life > Experiences

Because The World Didn’t End When I Was 17 

Today, I woke up in my very own apartment. I got dressed in my favorite workout set and attended classes at my dream university. I admired the palm trees and vibrant flowers and listened to my favorite song on the walk home. I got to tell my mom I got all As and heard her say she’s proud of me. I spent the night laughing and dancing with people who have grown to be my best friends and came home to a freshly made bed with my favorite sheets. All because the world didn’t end when I was 17. 

The transition from adolescence to adulthood is filled with both internal and external struggles. It feels like the world around you is crumbling and there’s nothing you can do about it. Friendships change, self-worth feels defined by test scores and arbitrary college decisions, you experience heartbreak, and responsibilities plague your every move. Yet here we are, standing on the other side of those challenging years, surrounded by the proof of resilience and growth. 

Picture this: a meticulously planned schedule, a neatly organized routine, and being prepared for every expected outcome. That’s my Virgo nature. When life takes an unexpected turn, I panic — like, really panic. 2023 has been one of the hardest years of my entire life. I went from being the happiest I had ever been to feeling stripped to almost nothing in a matter of weeks. Soon, I felt like the same 17-year-old who couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel no matter how hard she tried. However, one thing was different: I had the experiences and memories I made after I was 17. More importantly, I knew that I had even more to experience. 

At 20, I know that life isn’t all sunshine and rainbows. I’ve failed tests I studied hours for. I have to budget and constantly worry about money. The dishes and laundry await me after what feels like a never-ending day. I experience rejection, self-doubt, and anxiety, sometimes all at once.  

But then I think of what I haven’t yet experienced: graduating with the degree I’ve worked so hard for, dancing in the rain with someone I love, traveling the world, and creating a home filled with memories of laughter and warmth. These are the chapters of life that lie ahead, waiting to be written. I can only watch as my story evolves and unfolds. The assurance that these unknowns await makes all of life’s obstacles worth it, and that’s the beauty of it.  

As a Virgo, my natural inclination is to meticulously plan every detail, but I’ve learned that life’s most precious moments often arise from the unexpected. While the transition from adolescence to adulthood brought its share of challenges, it also gifted me with memories and experiences so great that they gave me a reason to continue and persevere in the face of life’s hardships. 

I’ve discovered that life is about more than just getting by. It’s about accepting the unexpected, finding strength from vulnerability, and realizing that obstacles and failures are not points of no return but rather checkpoints that exist to make you more appreciative of what’s to come. So here’s to the unwritten chapters, the uncharted territories, and the beautiful unknown. The world didn’t end when I was 17; it had only just begun.  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest! 

Veronica Eichberg is a dedicated staff writer for the Her Campus at Florida State University. As a Hispanic and Jewish female, Veronica is passionate about finding your voice through writing. Her dedicated approach to journalism is also shaped by her wide array of interests ranging anywhere from politics to pop-culture.  Veronica is currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Political Science and International Affairs at Florida State University, she has served as a Field Representative Intern for Pennsylvania State Senator Devlin Robinson and actively engaged in local politics as a Student Campaign Promoter for Leon County. Her campus involvement includes being the Director of Mental health and Recreation for the FSU Honors Student Association, Student Senate and directing social awareness efforts in the Delta Gamma Sorority. Veronica is a passionate advocate for mental health, a skilled debater, and a speaker with thought-provoking TEDx talks.  In her free time, Veronica enjoys going to the gym, thrifting, listening to music and reality TV.