Baking and Bonding: Panhellenic Members Come Together

It’s safe to say that the word “cupcake” gets most collegiettes completely fired up.  From looking at fun recipes on Pinterest that are probably impossible to make to Instagramming the final product for everyone to see, us girls love an excuse to craft anything and show it off, especially when it comes in the form of food (hey boys, marry us someday).  Since the dawn of Pinterest and other websites that give us creative ideas for décor, cupcakes have become a go-to creation for girls trying to show off both their baking skills and their craftiness.  Cailey Coble of Delta Delta Delta knew this all too well when she planned a “Cupcake Swap” for not only the members of her sorority, but the entire Panhellenic community. 

Inspired by Panhellenic Pride week which is October 14-17th, Coble decided to organize and host the swap for fun.  Being Tri-Delt’s Panhellenic delegate, Coble also understands the importance of girls in the Greek community coming together, despite the letters that they wear. “Everybody loves cupcakes and I wanted to put on a fun event to promote Panhellenic love, especially so close to Panhellenic pride week,” Coble said. 

Coble encouraged women in attendance to bake a cute and creative batch of cupcakes, and the inner housewife in many girls certainly followed suit.  Among the cupcakes featured at the swap was a pumpkin spice latte cupcake complete with a nice whipped top and a green Starbucks straw sticking out of it (anyone who has an Instagram or Twitter knows the general level of popularity of the PSL among girls). Other works of cupcake art included a cookie-dough filled creation and the beautiful flower cupcakes pictured, made by Tri-Delta Monica Reznik. Due to lack of resources and creativity on my part, my contribution was a simple pumpkin cupcake with cream cheese icing.  While they weren’t too fun to look at, all the ingredients can be found seasonally at Target and were super easy to make. 

In the spirit of Panhellenic Pride Week, other sorority chapters are also choosing to host events with Panhellenic sisters.  On Tuesday October 15th, Alpha Delta Pi is hosting a movie on the lawn event.  The movie will not only be celebrating the spirit of fall, but will further encourage friendship and unity among girls in all sorority chapters.  Coble was excited about the turnout of girls for her swap and thought it was an awesome night for girls of all chapters to come together. “I think it was a great success and a good time.  I can’t wait to do it next year,” Coble said.  After taking a bite of those Pumpkin Spice Latte cupcakes (I won’t admit how many I actually ate), it’s safe to say that I’m looking forward to next year as well.

Want to make cute cupcakes of your own? Check out www.bakerella.com for cupcake and other baking ideas! 

Lauren Burkett is an alumna of Florida State University, where she studied Editing, Writing and Media.  Since graduating in 2014, she has worked in marketing, as a flight attendant and now works in the oil and gas industry.  She was the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus FSU during her time there, and is ecstatic to continue her involvement with the organization as a Chapter Advisor.  Lauren now lives in Denver, Colorado and enjoys being outside, reading and journaling in her free time.   
Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."