Dry and hot weather paired with a lack of water can cause for a great disaster. Australia is in that very predicament in one of the most catastrophic fires of the year. Compared to the 125k hectares that the Amazon Rainforest lost a few months ago, the Australia fires are already past one million hectares – and the fires are still not even close to being out.

Four people have died so far due to the fires and many, many more are injured and/or displaced. A 16-year-old boy is now in custody and is being questioned for being the one who may have started the fires. If he is arrested, he will be charged with arson.

Courtesy: Twitter (@mygrndpln)

There is a lack of worldwide coverage of this event, and with a lack of a real emergency plan, Australia is exhausting its resources and its rescuers. It seems that the apparent problem and the reason behind the lack of action or planning is a push against climate change from the leaders of the country.

The deputy prime minister, Michael McCormack, who is a part of the Nationals party, both ridiculed the belief of climate change and insulted those who tried to talk about it in a Senate-only sitting by saying, “they don’t need the ravings of some pure, enlightened and woke capital city greenies at this time.”

McCormack’s statements and lack of acceptance to even discuss the possibilities of climate change sparks a throw of insults and a deep fear within many of the people who are having their lives, homes and country destroyed. Other senators, such as Senator Ginger O’Brien, who lives within the farming lands of Nimbin which lies in the heart of the NSW coastal fires commented, “your house is not burning. My house is burning down, what are you doing? Nothing. You’re laughing. You’re having a circus. You’re playing with fire.”

Rather than a discussion of how to go about handling the fires, or even trying for outreach for relief from other countries, the government of Australia is focused upon how to best insult each other. Residents are tired of it, they are worried about their livelihoods and angered over why there has not been more of an effort in planning for natural disasters like these.

Courtesy: Twitter (@arabiaebooks)

Taking to social media, residents of the nation are begging for coverage of their state of emergency.

Twitter user @Tahlya_jay96 says, “Our firefighters are exhausted. Our animals are dying. Our land is being destroyed and yet this is not being recognized by a wider audience. Please make this WORLD NEWS!! May god be with every single person out there fighting.”

Another user, @wolfe_sharlene tweeted, “It’s not only our people and land that is suffering, our innocent and helpless wildlife are burning to death. I cannot stress enough the severity of the Australian fires. OUR LAND IS DYING California and the amazon had mass media coverage. Please share.”

Courtesy: Twitter (@RedCrossAU)

The nation is in need of help. You can donate to the NSW Rural Fire Services, The Salvation Army, The Australian Red Cross and Wildlife Rescue and Recovery GoFundMe that focuses on helping the koalas.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hello! My name is Cali Robins, I am studying English with a focus on Literature and its connections with culture and our current media, at Florida State University with a minor in Anthropology. My goal at HerCampus FSU is to provide readers with an unbiased reading of the news and to highlight some of my own interests in hopes that my readers will get a taste of my authentic voice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.