I grew up watching creators on YouTube such as Alisha Marie, Nikki and Gabbi, Emma Chamberlain, Tana Mongeau, and so many more. Their vibrant videos with upbeat music behind overexposed montages and witty storytime videos always held my attention longer than any television show. However, now I find myself listening to podcasts in my spare time instead of looking to watch a YouTube video. I love being able to listen while walking to class, running errands, or cooking and cleaning. 

Through the increase of creators who are starting podcasts, followers get an even closer look into the lives of their favorite influencers. Many podcast shows are even releasing video footage alongside the audio recording to convey more of a talk show vibe to viewers. With these recent industry advancements, who needs YouTube when Apple Podcasts and Spotify are emulating the video aspects while also establishing their dominance as music and entertainment streaming platforms?

One of the main reasons why I think YouTube is being put on the back burner is because all of my favorite influencers have very entertaining podcasts. One example is the podcast “Pretty Basic” hosted by Youtubers Alisha Marie and Remy Cruz. These insightful women started their podcast in 2018 when YouTube started dying out. 

Another example is Emma Chamberlain, who has a massive following on YouTube and Instagram. Chamberlain has a mellow podcast called “Anything Goes” where she discusses mental health and self-help exercises. The podcast “BFFs” from Barstool Sports featuring Dave Portnoy, Josh Richards, and Brianna ChickenFry discusses celebrity gossip and current events in the media. The trio’s weekly discussions and occasional guest interviews combine the unique perspectives of differing media personalities, which then sparks controversy through hot-take debates.

One final example is the comedic podcast “Canceled” by popular YouTuber Tana Mongeau and influencer Brooke Schofield. Mongeau and Schofield upload weekly shows with occasional guests whom they interview on air. These women have even capitalized off of the show by holding live shows where they host a YouTube classic Meet-and-Greet before or after the show. These Meet-and-Greets allow followers and listeners to interact with the two internet personalities on a personal level. 

Like every other social network, podcasting has also started some careers for several creators now prevalent in the entertainment industry. Alex Cooper is a prime example of one of the media forums success stories. Cooper has a popular podcast named “Call Her Daddy” where she interviews A-list celebrities in an intimate sit-down style. Cooper has significantly bridged the gap between famous influencers and famous Hollywood celebrities. Seeing her own success in the increasingly popular industry, Cooper has recently started her own podcasting and media network called “Unwell.” She has already signed internet personalities Alix Earle and Madeline Argy, who have both started their own podcast shows with Cooper’s guidance. 

As we delve into 2024, I think we are sadly leaving YouTube behind and trading it in for podcasts. Whether you’re listening to or watching the audio shows, it’s undeniable that their popularity is steadily increasing among listeners of all ages. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

I am currently a junior at Florida State University obtaining my undergraduate degree from The College of Communications. I am majoring in Media Communications and minoring in Social Entrepreneurship with an expected graduation date of May 2025.