carrie bradshaw i live here
carrie bradshaw i live here
New Line Cinema
Life > Experiences

And Just Like That… Reflecting on My First Semester as a Her Campus Carrie Bradshaw

Since my first days at Florida State, I’ve been utterly obsessed with Her Campus and absolutely devoured every single article that came across my Instagram. For my first couple of college years, I always had the intention of applying for Her Campus at FSU, but was unfortunately met with the workload of someone who could barely find a minute to breathe. While I’ve always been one to throw fancy words into an article to reach a word count, I had no way to gauge my own writing abilities in order to join this organization I’ve admired for so long.

Finally, in the first semester of my senior year, I had the means and the opportunity to join an amazing group of women writing about the things we love and giving a platform to a multitude of relatable topics for women, by women. As a newfound Sex and the City fanatic, I found so much joy and solace in Carrie and her narration centralized in each episode to the life experiences and hardships that she and her girlfriends endure. With an influence like the Mother of Journalism herself, I’ve grown to find a voice and a genuine passion for writing what I know and love. While I’m a far cry away from wearing Vivienne Westwood in a Vogue shoot, here’s what I still gained from having the time of my life in my first semester as a Her Campus Carrie Bradshaw.

My Voice

“The most exciting, challenging, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself.” -CB

The free will we get to write about whatever interests us enough to put words on paper is one of the best things about writing for Her Campus at FSU. My first article spoke to my experience being Hispanic without any knowledge of the Spanish language, and I’ve since been more at peace with the subject after being able to express my feelings by writing them out. Whether it’s about mental health, Halloween costume ideas, or even ranking the movies of an entire franchise, it feels so liberating to be given the space to find your voice in any capacity you want it to be discovered.

Furthermore, getting the opportunity to read so many other articles in which the girls I get to see weekly are finding voices of their own gives us all a common goal to work toward, as well as a sense of not being alone in our thoughts.

My skills

“Maybe the best any of us can do is not to quit, play the hand we’ve been given, and accessorize the outfit we got.” -CB

I’ve spent many nights stressing over perfecting my articles, going crazy over whether or not they’re actually good. In the span of a single semester, I know for sure that my confidence in my writing has grown significantly by the time I’m putting these words on paper this very second. Not only did I get to have a goddess of an editor, but I also had a community of people hyping up each other’s work and helping one another improve. I forever cherish the feedback I get from my editor biweekly; the active communication helps me grow.

Sometimes I get frustrated if I feel I’m not articulating the points I’m trying to convey, or not having the same conviction in my topic as I initially had. Still, the best we can do is not quit, and the motivation I gained for myself and the amount I receive from others has kept me on a path to improvement and reassurance. As a bonus, I signed up for an article technique course for the upcoming spring, because I’m a firm believer in taking the steps you want to take in order to reach the highest point possible. While it took me a minute to draw those conclusions myself, it wasn’t without the encouragement and communication I attained from being a Her Campus girlie!

My Girls

“They say nothing lasts forever; dreams change, trends come and go, but friendships never go out of style.” -CB

My Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda come in the form of a myriad of other girls whose unity brought together by Her Campus will definitely never go out of style. As someone who’s a bit more introverted, I usually struggle to communicate with others out of fear of awkwardness or forced conversations. However, I remember walking into the location for our fall photoshoot and immediately getting the vibe of such a warm and welcoming environment. I was laughing and vibing with so many other girls during this shoot before we even knew each other’s names.

Not only is Her Campus at FSU such a friendly and sociable environment, but it’s also filled to the brim with strong-minded women in a space where every opinion is both valid and wanted! It doesn’t matter if I need a Miranda to bring me back to reality or a Samantha to help me put myself out there — my Her Campus girls got it all.

And just like that, Her Campus at FSU’s Fall 2023 semester has come to an end. After spending so long wanting to be part of this organization, I can say with all the assurance in the world that it was everything I hoped for and more. I gained more confidence in myself and my writing, as well as a community of women who support and uplift one another. With all the excitement and buzz of a thoroughly successful fall, I couldn’t help but wonder — what’s in store for Spring 2024?

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Cheyenne Cruz is a staff writer for the FSU chapter of HerCampus. Her work involves writing for personal experiences, entertainment and pop culture, and campus life at FSU. She is a Senior at Florida State University, majoring in Humanities and minoring in Hospitality Management. She also serves as the Event Planning Coordinator for the Themed Entertainment Association at FSU. In her free time, she loves reading and video chatting with her family just to check up on her dogs. She has a love for pop culture and a passion for discovering a myriad of films and tv shows, both old and new. Any song in her playlist is easily located from a movie soundtrack, and she loves bringing her new discoveries to so many different people.