Name: Anais Bergues

Major: Advertising and Computer Science

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Miami, FL

Relationship Status: In a relationship

Her Campus (HC): Why did you decide to pursue a career in the advertising and computer science field? Typically, people don’t tend to pair those two together.

Anais Bergues (AB): I always thought I would want to pursue a career in music, but my last two years of high school helped me realize that it wasn’t just music that I liked. I wanted to find a way to incorporate everything that interested and amazed me. With advertising, I can write jingles for products and companies. It was also a way to express myself in a creative manner. They not only do music and the branding, but also produce and create these complex videos. I would always try to get out of writing assignments by creating a video project. The computer science came from my love for spy movies. I honestly just thought it was cool, then when I started doing it I found that it was challenging, yet rewarding.  I always thought advertising and computer science went together. I am not just creative, but I also have a techy mind.  Who knows, maybe I’ll create an app one day! 

HC: What organizations are you involved in on campus?

AB: I am in the Board of Trustees for the Student Foundation. I am also the Vice Chair of their PR Committee. I am a member of the Advertising Club and I participated in “Peace Jam” as a mentor last year.

HC: How has participating in these organizations helped you with your personal and professional development in college?

AB: It has made me a lot more responsible and accountable. It has helped me realize how my ideas and enthusiasm for what I love can make an impact on people on a bigger scale. It has made me realize that I don’t just want to do these things in college, but for the rest of my life.

HC: What has been the biggest challenge that you have faced in college?

AB: The biggest challenge I overcame (and continue to overcome) would have to be facing rejection. I can now say that I do not let rejection get the best of me anymore. I let it be the flame that fuels me. I am now able to bounce back from rejection and I continue to involve myself.

HC: What soda would you say best defines who you are and why?

AB: Dr. Pepper. Their flavor is unique and not everyone drinks it. One of their slogans is “Always One of a Kind.” I try my best to always keep things exciting and different. I never say no when it comes to trying new things. It is important to be different and stand out from the crowd. You need to keep things fun! I’ve tried softball, dance, musical theatre, self-defense, travel, surfing, horseback riding, painting and even ice-skating!

HC: What has been your latest adventure?

AB: This summer I interned in Washington D.C. with the Congressional Chorus. I did a lot of advertising and video work. The environment was completely different from Miami and Tallahassee; it was like nothing that I was used to. I thought I was used to a fast paced lifestyle, but then I was thrown into the ever-changing streets of D.C. The work I did made me realize how much I loved advertising, but helped me discover my true love for video production. I was able to make a story and bring my ideas to life. I recorded and produced a music video for an artist called JChris, who recently signed with Sony Music Entertainment. I had maximum exposure to new equipment and techniques. I also established a connection with influential people.

HC: Since you shot and produced a music video, would you say music is your first love?

AB: Yeah, definitely. I play and write songs in my free time. It has served as an outlet for me, whether it was a breakup or a fight with a friend. I guess you can call me Taylor Swift. My songs can be a little passive-aggressive, but fun nonetheless.

HC: Wow, is there anyway that we can listen to these songs?

AB: You can find my songs in my YouTube Channel!

HC: On average, how many times a week do you hurt yourself trying to dance in the shower?

AB: Probably every day, but I’ll go with 20. I’m naturally clumsy; bruises just appear out of nowhere. When I am not performing in the shower, you can get front row seats to my daily car concerts. Tickets available online! 

Her Campus at Florida State University.