Adventure Is Everywhere if You Look Hard Enough—Yes, Even in Tallahassee

When we think of traveling, most of us picture ourselves abroad—ideally on the back of some really cute Italian dude’s Vespa a la Hilary Duff in “The Lizzie McGuire Movie.” Our effortlessly gorgeous hair blows in the wind like the red silk cape of a Spanish matador lost in the art of bullfighting, as we, with the same precision and entrancement, observe the untouchable hustle and bustle of those around us. We imagine the smell of crisp, buttery French pastries in the air intertwining with the human noise of the city—a city far away from Tallahassee.

While that sounds like a drabble out of my middle school diary, it’s true—we don’t typically define “adventure” as something readily accessible for us busy, broke, and exhausted college students. We also don’t define Tallahassee and its surrounding areas as places to find adventure, mainly because we don’t bother to explore them. We think that the closest we’ll get to adventure here is walking through the Checkers drive-thru at 3 am and getting free fries. Nights like these make funny Sunday morning stories and everyone loves free fries, but Tallahassee nightlife has nothing on Tallahassee wildlife.

During your next before-bed scroll through Instagram’s popular page, look a little closer. Chances are you may have seen some of these places all over social networks, because it looks as if I’m not the only one in Tallahassee whose New Years Resolution is to find adventure everywhere I go. 

Lichgate: 1401 High Road, Tallahassee, FL (4 minute drive from FSU)

Source: www.lichgate.com

Professor Laura Pauline Jepsen purchased this iconic oak tree and property over thirty years ago. Lichgate is a place rich in both natural wonders and history, and a favorite amongst the English studies community in Tallahassee. Professor Jepsen taught English at FSU for over thirty years, and upon purchasing the land said “it was a tree to inspire poets.” So whether you’re looking for a peaceful place to sit down and read, or an alternative to the squeaky floor of your yoga studio, Lichgate is sure to romance you with its fairytale aura.

Elinor- Klapp Phipps Park: 4000 North Meridian Road, Tallahassee, FL (15 minute drive from FSU)

My first adventure of the spring semester was to this lovely little escape. The best part? You have to drive through a tree tunnel to get there. Pair that with your best friends, Bon Iver on the radio, and the sun roof rolled all the way down, and you’ve got yourself the perfect Saturday afternoon. I don’t care how cliché it sounds—sticking your head out of a sunroof is therapeutic.

Promise & Go-Between Sinks aka “Sister Sinks”: Wakulla County Forest (35 minute drive from FSU)

These crystal clear sinkholes are only two of the hundreds in Tallahassee—go to almost any heavily forested area and you’re bound to come across one. Warning: critters and creatures are still very much a thing, so be careful where you dive. Make sure to check for aquatic spiders the size of your face before you climb on the underwater trees. Take it from personal experience—be careful, or you’ll have the Michael Phelps of the arachnid community whipping a mean breaststroke your way. These sinkholes are for the more adventurous of travelers, but are sure to provide a refreshing, fun experience.

Maclay Gardens: 3540 Thomasville Road, Tallahassee, FL (22 minute drive from FSU)

Source: www.rambergart.com

A popular place for weddings and photo shoots, Maclay Gardens is the ideal place for a midday picnic with friends or an artists’ getaway.  The abundance of flowers and vibrancy make my hands itch for a paintbrush—makes a pretty picture, doesn’t it?

Providence Canyon State Park: 8930 Canyon Road, Lumpkin, GA (2 hour 27 minute drive from FSU)

Source: www.flickr.com

I know this isn’t in Tallahassee, but it’s definitely worth the drive. Let’s all think about the size of Florida for a second. My South Florida people know there’s no way on Earth we could drive two hours away and come across anything that looks even remotely like this. Only in Tallahassee do we have the luxury of being so close to Georgia that we can make a day trip out of visiting the “Little Grand Canyon.” An afternoon spent hiking here is much more fun than running laps at the leach, and a thousand times more breathtaking.

If you’re still on the fence about going out for a breath of fresh air this weekend, remember this: you are not getting any younger. You may have four exams coming up next week, a cooler to paint, a waltz to plan, and an internship to apply for, but believe it or not, this is most likely the last time in your life when you’ll be able to pack a backpack and a few peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, get in the car, and go.

Life gets in the way and time doesn’t stop for anyone.

Right now, you can stop time for a weekend or even a few hours if the only thing in your way is an assignment due at midnight. When you’ve got a baby on the way or a campaign to run in 10 years, you’ll be begging Father Time for half of the free time you have right now.

No more excuses.

Go.

Hi! I 'm Sara. You can find me roaming the streets of Tallahassee, Florida, in hopes of finding some cool people, places, and things to write about. Originally from Coral Springs, Florida, I've ventured 8 hours away from home to study Public Relations and Creative Writing at Florida State University. I like creativity, dance parties, writing, traveling, reading, and having a good time, all the time. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.