Style

Adidas and Ivy Park Facing Judgment Over Available Sizes

For those of you who might live under a rock, singer Beyoncé has her very own clothing brand called IVY PARK. The brand is not only known for its creator but for its fashionable athleisure clothing items. On Jan. 18 IVY PARK and Adidas officially released their collaboration collection. The collection itself features unisex tracksuits, jackets, dresses, shoes and various accessories. All of the items can be found in a mix of white, orange and purple. Many reviewers have actually compared it to the uniform of a British supermarket called Sainsbury, however, that is not the issue here.

Courtesy: SFGATE

Putting the looks of clothing line aside, people have been vocal over the ranges in sizes that are offered. The collection ranges in size from extra-small to extra-large (0/2 to 16/18). Many people are discouraged that the sizes stop there instead of at 4XL. Adidas’ website features plus-size options ranging up to 4XL, so the request for more diversity in sizes is in line with what they usually offer.

Celebrities such as Reese Witherspoon, Ellen, Zendaya, Diplo, Rita Ora, Hailey Bieber, Cardi B, Kendal Jenner and many more were sent an orange box filled with clothes from the collection. The issue is, Ashley Graham is the only plus-size celebrity who received clothes from the line. Graham is filmed trying on the items, but fans were still not pleased. They pointed out that Graham is actually a size 16, right at the XL size. Singer Lizzo even got in on the drama by making a video appearing to diss Beyoncé for not offering bigger sizes and not sending her one of the orange boxes.

Courtesy: Morning Picker

Beyoncé’s brand has taken big hits in the past. In 2016 the brand was originally created and partnered with Philip Green, a British billionaire. According to NBC News, Philip Green and Beyoncé worked together to create IVY PARK and sold the items at his chain store Topshop. Once released, Green was not only accused, but he was also charged with sexual harassment and racial abuse. Upon discovery, people demanded action from Beyoncé. In response to this, her company Parkwood Entertainment bought out Green. Beyoncé became the sole owner of the brand. Since the departure from Topshop, Adidas’ partnership is the first collaboration that has been released.

Despite the backlash over the sizes, people have not stopped buying items from the online website. The entire selection is already sold out on Adidas’ website.

Beyoncé, the representatives from IVY PARK and Adidas have all yet to respond to the backlash from fans and customers. Beyoncé did, however, share a post on Instagram on January 21 saying, “I want to say a huge thank you to all of the incredible human beings who stood in those long lines in the snow and rain. All the beautiful people who waited in the waiting room online. All of the friends and family who took the time to film videos and dress up in the unboxing. I am humbled, grateful and proud. Y’all look so good in your IVY PARK. I love you deep. B”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

I am a sophomore at Florida State University (Go Noles!) planning to major in Psychology with a minor in Philosophy. I am so excited to spend another semester writing for Her Campus! :)
Her Campus at Florida State University.