Her Campus was the first organization I joined when I came to FSU in the fall of 2022. I was a quiet, timid freshman who knew nothing about FSU before I moved into my dorm. FSU was not my first choice school, but I was determined to make the most of my college experience. I spent hours going through the registered organizations on FSU’s website, scouring for any semblance of community. I eventually landed on Her Campus and decided to apply during the fall.

Her Campus was both exciting and intimidating. On one hand, I was excited to be in a woman-led space with other passionate writers. On the other hand, the idea of being vulnerable and publishing work that would live on the internet forever filled me with dread. Her Campus was my first experience writing for an audience. Before, I chose to reserve my writing for private reflections, and when I did write for others, I always published my work anonymously. I was doubtful that anyone would even care to read what I wrote. Despite my anxiety, I decided to give Her Campus a try. 

Being a part of Her Campus has undoubtedly been one of the best elements of my college experience. Writing has forced me out of my comfort zone and shell; it has empowered me to take pride in my work and stand alongside it instead of cowering in anonymity. Writing also allowed me to explore my interests in a completely new way. I never would have had the opportunity to profile a fashion influencer or a local business owner if it wasn’t for the platform that Her Campus gave me. 

Her Campus also solidified the value of connections with women for me. My relationships with other women have been incredibly impactful on my life, and Her Campus was the first time I had the experience of entering into a space that was designed for and cultivated by women. Writing alongside other Her Campus members has been incredibly transformative; I’ve laughed and cried reading articles, and relate to every article that I’ve read in one way or another. Through reading the experiences of other writers, I’ve grown to appreciate the connections that I have with women in my life in an entirely new way.

Her Campus also empowered me to expand my horizons. I’ve always wanted to be a writer, and I never thought about taking on a leadership role within a publication. In my second semester, I applied to be an editor, and I’ve been able to hone my skills as a writer even more through this experience. Editing has given me the opportunity to share in others telling their stories, which is incredibly special. 

In three short semesters, HCFSU has absolutely changed me for the better. I’ve gained confidence in my writing and editing skills and joined similar organizations that allow me to write about my passions. Although this is the last semester that I’m going to be part of Her Campus, I will always value the people and mission behind this organization. I cannot express enough how much gratitude I have for their passion, their stories, and their love and support. There is truly no space like Her Campus and I’m so lucky to have been a part of it.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Cameron Glymph is a content editor at Her Campus FSU; she oversees a group of six writers and edits their articles weekly. In her own writing for HCFSU, she focuses on local culture, fashion, and social justice issues. Beyond Her Campus, Cameron works as an editor the FSView and Florida Flambeau, the independent student run newspaper at FSU. There, she assists in managing a group of 10 writers and covers topics related to Tallahassee arts and culture. She is also an associate editor for the Kudzu Review, the undergraduate literary magazine at FSU. She is currently a sophomore at FSU, double majoring in English and Political Science. In her free time, Cameron enjoys gardening, reading books and hanging out with her friends.