A Definitive Review of Fake Rock Album “Aurora”

Based on the bestselling novel by Taylor Jenkins Reid, Daisy Jones & the Six has come to its explosive end, with the final two episodes releasing on Amazon Prime today. The show has remained number one on Amazon for its entire run, with book fans and curious 70s rock enthusiasts alike checking out the limited series led by Riley Keough and Sam Clafin. Also making waves at number one is the show’s accompanying album, Aurora, featuring music by the titular band.

With songs penned by a team of experienced musicians, including Blake Mills and Phoebe Bridgers, and performed by the cast who went through “band camp” to prepare themselves for such a feat, this fictional rock album has come to life. The lyrics that Reid wrote for the novel are virtually unrecognizable, but the spirit of the album remains true to what she intended, and it’s much more exciting to be able to listen to “Look At Us Now (Honeycomb)” as I drive to the grocery store than try to picture it in my head as I read the lyrics in the pages of the book.

But for an album created just for a TV show, how good is it? Does it really feel like it was music written by rock stars long ago? Are the songs worthy of being the chart-toppers the story claims them to be?

Well, some of them are better than others.

11. “Two against three”

First written by Daisy alone and then co-opted by the band as a whole, you can tell that Billy’s rock flair is missing here. “Two Against Three” is more worthy of a singer-songwriter act than Soldier Field Stadium.

10. “You Were gone”

While I’m happy to bop my head to the beat, this one just isn’t very memorable. To me, it’s the only real “skip” on the album.

9. “NO words”

For the finale song on the album, it just doesn’t keep my attention. However, Keough and Clafin’s voices softly coming together is truly something to appreciate.

8. “AURORA”

It’s got a good rhythm, and I happily gasp for breath trying to sing both parts of the chorus. But there are simply much better songs on the album still to be ranked.

7. “Regret me”

Daisy’s powerful revenge song, though incredibly catchy, is the only one of the bunch where I genuinely prefer the book’s lyrics. RIP “when you think of me, I hope it ruins rock and roll.”

6. “KILL YOU TO TRY”

The last two minutes and twenty seconds of this song are elite, with Teddy’s few xylophone notes adding a little something extra.

5. “THE RIVER”

This song is straight out of the 70s. From Keough’s belting to the twang of the guitar, “The River” would be a sure hit.

4. “MORE FUN TO MISS”

Initially, I would have ranked this one lower, but the context that Episode 6 provides now gives me chills every time I listen to the opening.

3. “PLEASE”

I think this might be a hot take. “Please” is the ode to Billy’s emotional cheating with Daisy… and I love it. His voice is so full of emotion and the lyrics are real and dark.

2. “Look at us now (honeycomb)”

Ah, the song that made Daisy Jones and the Six famous. Reminiscent of “The Chain” by Fleetwood Mac, I can absolutely picture teenage girls dancing around their bedrooms to this and running out to buy the SevenEightNine record. And you can’t beat the scene in the show where Daisy and Billy sing “Look At Us Now” for the first time.

1. “Let me down easy”

The first song that Daisy and Billy write together is a skirt-swishing, easy-to-memorize, certifiable bop. As Billy said to Daisy, “You make everything better.”

While some of the songs went straight on my playlist while I’ve mostly forgotten others existed, Aurora feels like an instant classic, and the dedication the songwriters put into every little word is so impressive. It fits the show’s vibe completely and lends itself to the most exciting, heart-wrenching, and heartbreaking of scenes. Daisy Jones & the Six may very well be the best, most dedicated, book adaptation put to screen. If the cast ever goes on tour (like they’ve hinted), I’ll be there.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Lane Webb is a Media/Communications Studies major with minors in English and Public Administration. During her time at FSU, she has interned with the U.S. House of Representatives, publishing companies, and marketing firms.