7 Ways to Make a Difference During Trump’s Presidency

On Jan. 20, after what seemed like the longest election season in history, Donald Trump was officially sworn in as the 45th President of the United States. And while during a time like this, especially as collegiate women, it’s easy to feel hopeless—it’s easy to give up and accept the idea that there is nothing left that we can do. But there is always hope! So, here are seven things you can do every day to resist Donald Trump’s presidency.

1. Contact Your Representatives!

While this idea seems like the most daunting, it’s actually the easiest to do. You can call, email or even visit your state representative in person to tell them your views and how you hope they will vote in the coming years. Unfortunately, senators won’t read your tweets!

2. Speak Up During Acts of Injustice

In the wise words of Desmond Tutu, “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.” If you see acts of harassment, judgment or threatening and intimidating behavior, call it out. Contact your university and tell them that these things are happening and you won’t stand for it.

3. Engage in Productive Conversation

It’s so easy to yell at one another on Twitter or Facebook when we disagree. It’s easy to insult, to mock or to bully. But things that are easy are infrequently productive. No one is going to admit that they’re wrong on Facebook in front of everyone they know. If you want to change hearts and change minds, go straight to the source. Start a respectful and in-person conversation with that uncle or cousin or friend and ask them why they feel the way they do. Tell them why you disagree and why you believe those opinions to be harmful. Use factual information and avoid the yelling and hatefulness that has been normalized in light of this election.

4. Publicly Show Your Support to Minority Groups

This is something that can be done on both small and large scale. On the smaller scale, you can let people who you know of marginalized races, religions or genders that you support them and that you will fight with them for their rights. Or, on the larger scale, you can follow onto #5:

5. Attend Local Protests and Rallies

University campuses are amazing places to get involved politically. There is almost always some kind of gathering happening somewhere in effort to make a difference and this will almost certainly increase following this inauguration. These events are often advertised with flyers around campus or posted about in student-run university Facebook pages. Find an event, grab some friends and get out there and change the world!

Courtesy: CNN

6. Refuse to Normalize

The most important thing we can do is refuse to accept the hate speech and prejudice that our new president perpetuates. Starting immediately after the election, I began to see people around me making excuses and saying it “won’t be that bad.” Don’t let yourself take that easy route. When we allow ourselves to normalize erratic, aggressive and divisive behavior from the most powerful man on Earth, everyone loses.

7. Continue to Spread Love 

Because at the end of the day, love trumps hate every single time.

Her Campus at Florida State University.