free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Tips to Help You Prepare for Seminole Futures

You better mark your calendars because Seminole Futures is just around the corner. This Thursday, January 28 at the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center, the all-majors career fair is taking place and hosting over 150 organizations that are looking to potentially hire Seminoles for full-time entry-level jobs and internships (for the upcoming summer and next school year). We understand that this can be slightly nerve-wracking to think about; during this time you could possibly be speaking to your future employer! With this in mind, we’ve decided to give you some tips and information, so you’ll feel perfectly prepared to master your time talking to the participating employers.

1. Prepare an Elevator Speech & Don’t be Afraid to Introduce Yourself

Prepare a pitch that ranges from about 30 seconds to one minute that quickly but precisely represents yourself.  This is the best way for an employer or recruiter to get a first impression of who you are and to see if you fit their organization. If you don’t know what to include, just start off with your name, major, and what interested you about the company and/or possible position.  If you still don’t feel comfortable enough to approach the organization you have your eye on because you are afraid you might mess up, try going up to other booths and practice on them until you feel at ease.

2. Research, Research, Research

Before the fair takes place, make sure you do some research about the companies and organizations you are interested in, and also look up positions that are open within the company. Coming prepared reassures the employer that you actually have a genuine interest in their company, and didn’t just come across it in the crowd. If you are unsure what organizations will actually be attending the career fair, feel free to click this to see. 

3. Use Your Resources

The Career Center is your best friend during these times. Offering multiple workshops, resume corrections, mock interviews and more, this center is your no. 1 place to help you prepare and succeed.

4. Ask the Representative of the Organization for their Card

This is a good way of remembering who they are and punctually sending them a quick thank you note, email, or LinkedIn request. This is also a very good habit to get into because a simple “thank you” can go a long way.

5. Dress Professionally

Before you even introduce yourself, the first thing an employer sees is your appearance and what you are wearing, so dress appropriately. First impressions are very important, so invest in some business casual and business professional attire. Also, if you don’t have one already, try and buy a professional business portfolio to store your resumes, business cards and other small personal belongings. 

6. Take Notes

Inside your portfolio, also include a small notebook and pen to write down important information you don’t want to forget. Examples of this could be: possible one-on-one interviews being held on campus over the coming weeks, expected hiring dates that you’re interested in, names, numbers and specific employer information sessions that will take place after the career fair.

7. Set Your Alarm!

Last but not least, if you don’t set your alarm, you could very well just miss the whole event, so please don’t forget. Arrive early and give yourself some time to prepare and review the map and directory of the fair.

Good luck, Collegiettes!

Tara Lawson-Corley is a Florida State University graduate. She majored in Retail Merchandising & Product Development with the goal of someday working for a fitness driven retail company. Hopefully later on she will be able to own her own successful fitness boutique or at least that's the dream. Tara enjoys the occasional Netflix binge, reading numerous fashion magazines, and finding new and exciting ways to workout.
Her Campus at Florida State University.