7 Things I Wish I Knew Before Studying Abroad

Updated Published

1. The fewer the expectations, the better

Even though it is inevitable that we create a certain mental picture of what we expect to see or feel, it’s impossible to shape our experiences into exactly what we want them to be. Embrace the unfamiliarity with open arms and you will be welcomed with pleasant surprises.

2. Nothing will go exactly as planned

Having a general idea of what you want to do is great, but keep in mind that – especially when traveling – things do not always go as planned. However, most of the time, the best memories are created through impromptu adventures and little moments you were never expecting. Get together with a group of people to talk about some must-see places on your bucket list and those can be your goals for the semester, but it’s okay if you don’t get to hit every single one or if something else comes up instead.

3. Collect the memories

Take lots of pictures, start a blog, keep a journal, save ticket stubs – anything that you can use to look back on years from now and remember all of the amazing experiences. You will most likely regret it if you don’t.

4. Say yes to new things

Say yes to a night out or a weekend trip with new people. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to have a truly good time or to meet new people because you feel more comfortable playing it safe. Don’t stay stuck in the mindset of what you’re accustomed to. Being abroad means you have to be willing to try new things and keep an open mind.

5. Create a budget

It’s a good idea to save up before you head abroad. It’s also important to manage yourself in terms of how much you’re spending on trips, food, drinks and anything else you might be inclined to purchase.

6. You’re technically still in school

Speaking from personal experience, being in a foreign country for an extended period of time can leave you feeling like you’re on one really long vacation. There will be a lot going on that you have to keep up with, and being in a new country can be overwhelming at times. Even though the classes are made to be a little more laid back so that you have room to actually indulge in your surroundings it is, after all, study abroad.

7. Your experience is what you make of it

Choosing to study abroad means you’ll be having the experience of a lifetime. How you choose to spend your time is up to you – but choose wisely. Months go by faster than you might expect them to. Immerse yourself in the culture and make an effort to learn about the environment you’re in. Your experience is shaped by the decisions you make, so make it a good one.

Her Campus at Florida State University.