7 Reasons Why You Should Watch “This Is Us” This Spring

Courtesy: CNN

This Is Us first aired in September and has quickly become a new favorite amongst wide groups of TV viewers. The show is about a family with triplets, and explores their lives both from the past and present. If you haven’t yet, here are the top seven reasons why you should start watching it this season.

1. Imperfectly Perfect Characters

A clear indication of good TV is when each character is flawed in their own way. Perfect characters and clear pointed villains can get boring. With “This Is Us,” each person is dealing with different parts of themselves while making mistakes along the way; something everyone can relate to.

2. Ideal for Ugly Crying

You know those days when the semester gets to be too much and you just want to let it all out? Well, “This is Us” is perfect. The show is both heartwarming and heartbreaking at times, but ultimately leaves you full of love and tears.

Courtesy: E! Online

4. Milo Ventimiglia

If you love Gilmore Girls, then get ready. Jesse is all grown up and now plays Jack, your new favorite dad. Almost guaranteed, you’ll be falling in love with his character.

4. Non-romantic Relationships

Don’t get me wrong, I love love and this show isn’t lacking when it comes to romance, but there’s nothing like family. This show reminds you that no matter how messy things get, you will always have your family. The writing doesn’t feel cheesy either; every moment has a certain authenticity to it that really draws people in and makes you want to call your mom. Also, the Big Three chant will get to you every time and make you wish you were a part of the family.

5. Diversity

In a show about a single family, it can be hard to keep things diverse, but This Is Us provides all kinds of characters. With one adopted son and an extremely overweight daughter, the triplets all differ from each other greatly. Each character touches on another difficult topic without relying on stereotypes or clichés. The plot is timeless and features something for everybody no matter your age.

6. It’s Addicting… In the Best Way

I never thought a show about a family could keep me sitting at home wishing for the next episode, but This Is Us always does. There’s a certain shock factor within the storyline that feels natural while still captivating. Once you start, you won’t be able to stop watching.

7. You’re Guaranteed More

The last and probably best reason for tuning in this Spring is that the show has already been renewed for two more seasons. No more worrying about falling in love with characters just to have them taken away, This Is Us is here to stay.

The show returns to NBC on February 7th at 9 pm.

Editing, Writing, and Media major at FSU. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.