alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Things That Will Make You Feel Better About Spending the Summer in Tallahassee

1. Wakulla Beach

This is a perfect beach for dogs because it isn’t much of a “beach.” There’s only a small section of sand leading into the ocean, but there are trails all throughout the beach, making it a perfect location to catch some rays and give your pup some exercise. It is only about 45 min to an hour away from Tallahassee, too.

2. Alligator Point

We all know Tallahassee isn’t known for its beaches, and if you’re stuck in Tallahassee for the summer, this can be a depressing realization. However, Alligator Point is a relatively decent beach. It is located about 1 hr and 30 minutes away from Tallahassee depending on traffic. It’s not as glamorous as the beaches in South Florida, but it is worth the trip. 

3. Sister Sinks

This might possibly be one of the most hidden gems for FSU students. The sister sinks are absolutely beautiful. Once you park, hike a little while until you reach the first sink hole. This one is a little smaller than the second which means it will be less crowded on any given day. Hike a little bit further to reach the second one. This sinkhole is huge and comes equipped with a rope swing. Don’t veer off from the trails, though. The locals with property close to the sinkholes are less than friendly. The sister sinks are close to Tallahassee as well, about 30-45 min away.

4. St. George Island

This is the best place to go over the summer. In my opinion, this beach is absolutely gorgeous and relaxing. Rent a beach house for the weekend so you and your friends don’t have to drive too much in one day. The seafood restaurants are within walking distance of the beach, and the oysters are delicious. The drive is a little bit further than the locations mentioned above, but it is completely worth it.

5. 4th of July

There are always a ton of pool parties going on for 4th of July, so don’t think you have to spend this holiday alone. Tallahassee keeps the 4th of July tradition alive with grilled hamburgers, hotdogs, and plenty of alcohol. After the pool parties, head over to Tom Brown Park for amazing fire-works. This is a huge event in Tallahassee, so arrive early to ensure a good parking spot.

6. Nightlife

The nightlife doesn’t stop in Tallahassee over the summer. Most of your favorite places during the fall and spring semester are still alive and well. My favorite places to go are The Palace Saloon, Level 8, and The Strip. Po Boys on Pensacola Street lets ladies drink for free every Tuesday.

If none of this interests you, Tallahassee is still a great place to relax by the pool or have a movie night with your friends. 

Senior at Florida State University. Major: Creative Writing Minors: Communications/Hospitality Management
Lauren Burkett is an alumna of Florida State University, where she studied Editing, Writing and Media.  Since graduating in 2014, she has worked in marketing, as a flight attendant and now works in the oil and gas industry.  She was the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus FSU during her time there, and is ecstatic to continue her involvement with the organization as a Chapter Advisor.  Lauren now lives in Denver, Colorado and enjoys being outside, reading and journaling in her free time.