6 Things English Majors are Tired of Hearing

Deciding what path to follow can be daunting, especially for liberal arts students.  The statement “I am an English major” is usually met with a confused smile and a round of questioning.

Here are things we are tired of hearing.

1. “So, you want to be a teacher?”

No. When my advisor first told me that this question was going to arise every time my studies were brought up with a new person for the rest of my academic life, I honestly thought it was a lie.  Two semesters into college and I can testify to the truth. My advisor wasn’t lying. This phrase appears in my nightmares.

When you tell someone you’re an English major the default response you receive from others always connects to the field of education. Friends, family, the family of friends, they will all ask you about your future career as an educator and be very thrown off when told otherwise.

While teaching is a noble and rewarding profession, the aspirations of most English majors do not align with teaching. In reality, we want to work in fields ranging from advertising to scientific publication.

The correlation between English degrees and teaching is completely outdated and worn-out, much like this question.

2. “Why are you studying English? It sounds like you speak it just fine.”

Although this statement is commonly used as an icebreaker, it does nothing but make us feel as though we’ve fallen straight through the ice. 

Perhaps people resort to this quip for a lack of something else to say or from not knowing much about what studying English entails. As an English major, depending on our concentration, we study the various forms of text and media, we read and analyze literature and we compose pieces in various styles of writing. We don’t study linguistics in the sense that someone picking up a foreign language or a speech pathologist does.

We hear this joke and freeze on the spot because if it wasn’t funny the first time we’ve heard it, it won’t be funny each time after.

3. “You like to write, so papers are easy for you.

You’re studying with friends in the library, an emphasis on the dying part as you all take turns talking about the assignment deadlines that are crushing you when your STEM major friend pipes up to remind you that since you find your major fun, your assignments shouldn’t be difficult to do. Since you like writing, the ten page paper you have due, or your multimedia project, shouldn’t take you long.

Wrong.

Unfortunately, we’ve all been in this situation before, where someone tries to discredit the work that we put forth. Being an English major isn’t easy despite the common belief. Just because we enjoy English and writing, it doesn’t mean that completing assignments is a breeze.

With the number of readings, projects and papers that get assigned, like with any major, it’s possible to get overwhelmed.

4. “I know someone who got a degree in English and now they work as a…”

There’s nothing quite like having your future and potential get based on the success of someone you’ve never met.  You’ll hear anecdotes from concerned individuals about cousins becoming waitresses or teachers *shudders* after not being able to get a job with their degree.

Keep your head up, and remind them that you are you, a person with your own goals and work ethic. You can achieve what you want.

5. “Don’t judge me for my grammar.”

When a person uses “like” in every other sentence or mixes up “your” and “you’re” we notice.

This being said, our goal in life is not to point out every mistake you make. Although, it can be fun sometimes.

6. “So…you’re just going to write? How will you find a job?”

I am just going to write. I am just going to write for magazines, newspapers, public relations firms, advertising agencies, political campaigns, legislation, publishing houses or whatever else I desire.

Don’t get caught up in the negativity and harsh judgment surrounding being an English major,

Here are some pros(e).

Marketable and Employable Skills:

The skills that are obtained through studying English are beyond valuable. The diverse course load will lead to developing skills in analysis, critical thinking, and communication. The ability to communicate accurately and effectively is the most sought-after skill employers look for. 

Options:

If you study law, chances are you become a lawyer. If you pursue a degree in engineering, you become an engineer. When you get a degree in English, you become whatever you want.

To some, this open-mindedness is frightening, but it shouldn’t be. English is the backbone to employment and transcends into every discipline. English can be built upon by those wanting to go to grad school or can be used in numerous fields.

With an English degree, a person can work in various settings like:

Chemical & Drug Companies

Legal Firms

Travel & Tourism

Publishing Houses

Broadcast Media

Private Industry & Business

Public Relations Firms

The opportunities are endless English majors!

All GIFs are courtesy of Giphy.

Her Campus at Florida State University.