Whether you’re an avid podcast listener or just starting to get into them, these podcasts are a must listen! These podcasts are all diverse, but some of the best in their genres if you’re interested in comedy, news, education and more!

The Science of Happiness

Courtesy of Greater Good Science Center

Hosted by professor Dacher Keltner and co-produced by UC Berkeley’s Greater Good Science Center, this podcast covers “research-tested strategies” that can help you lead a happier life. By discussing the science of “compassion, gratitude, mindfulness and awe,” this podcast will give you the tips you need in order to live a more meaningful and optimistic life. Each episode is around 20 minutes or less which makes it an easy listen and ensures that each episode is straight to the point and concise. With episodes like “What to Do When You Feel Like a Failure,” “How To Let Go of Anger,” and “Finding Your Strengths,” this podcast is great for learning coping skills to deal with personal issues and improving your mental health.

My Favorite Murder

Courtesy of Exactly Right Podcast Network

If you’re interested in true crime, serial killers or unsolved murders, it’s time to tune into this podcast! Each week the hosts, Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark, discuss their favorite true crime stories. They also listen to hometown crime stories from fans of the podcast, making each episode fresh and original! Karen and Georgia are hilarious and their jokes and insight will have you engaged with each story. By the end of each episode, you’ll be running to tell your friends about the crazy new murder mystery you just heard.

Up First

Courtesy of NPR

Want to keep up with the news but don’t have time to tune in to CNN or read the newspaper? Don’t worry, NPR has you covered. This podcast, hosted by Rachel Martin, David Greene and Steve Inskeep, gives you the top news stories in the morning to start your day and keep you informed. From politics to pop culture, this podcast will keep you up-to-date about what’s going on in the news and in the world. New episodes are available every weekday by 6 a.m. and are each around 10 minutes long, making them easy to listen to on your way to class, while you’re getting ready in the morning or during a quick drive!

Tiny Meat Gang

Courtesy of Tiny Meat Gang

If you’re looking for a comedy podcast that will have you laughing out loud, check out this podcast by comedians and YouTubers Cody Ko and Noel Miller. If you’re familiar with Cody’s old Vines and current YouTube videos with Noel, you’ll love their podcast! They post one episode weekly, and each episode is around an hour long or more. Each episode is like a personal listen-in to their long, random and hilarious conversations about their personal lives and pop culture. They also post the video footage from their podcast recording sessions on their YouTube channel if you want some visual content to go along with the podcast audio!

Stuff You Should Know

Courtesy of Stuff You Should Know

For those of you who enjoy learning for the sake of learning, this is the podcast for you! In this podcast hosted by Josh Clark and Chuck Bryant, you can learn about any topic you’ve been curious to know more about, such as sign language, the science of break-ups, how galaxies work, and more! Both of the hosts are writers at HowStuffWorks, and the podcast is consistently ranked in the Top 10 on iTunes. These funny hosts explain each topic with ease so if you’re looking for a podcast that is a great mix of education and entertainment, look no further!

Overdue

Courtesy of Twitter

Ever read a book and have no one to talk about it with? Overdue is for all of you bookworms out there! In this podcast, the hosts Andrew Cunningham and Craig Getting talk about a new book each week. Covering genres from classic literature to young adult novels, the hosts discuss all the books you’ve been meaning to read or have already read! This podcast mixes humor while still discussing and reviewing the books in an intellectual manner by analyzing characters, plot, themes and more. Andrew and Craig have been friends for a while, so you’ll quickly be pulled into their hilarious conversations and insight on things in the novels you may have missed the first time.

Selena is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Media Communication Studies and minoring in Film Studies. She loves talking about music, film, and funny YouTube videos. You can connect with her on Instagram: @selenaponton
Her Campus at Florida State University.