Style > Decor

5 Ways to Turn Your Room Into Your Own Personal Sanctuary

Most people would agree that 2020 has been a challenging year. If you’re feeling stressed with everything going on in the world today, it’s natural to want an escape. Your decor doesn’t have to add to the tension you’re feeling. Let your space be a retreat from the rest of the world. With these decor tips, you can turn your dorm, apartment or bedroom into your own personal sanctuary.

Get rid of the clutter.

To create a calming space, you must clear the air (literally). Get rid of anything that is weighing you down or adding stress to your life. These items might be anything from clothes to knick-knacks. When you walk into your space, it’s ideal that you feel tranquil and serene, rather than overwhelmed by your surroundings. Clean out your area and decide what you want to keep. To do this, separate your items into two piles: one to keep and later organize, and one to donate. By donating your unwanted items, you’ll feel as though a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. Not only will you have gotten rid of clutter, but you’ll have done it for a good cause, as well.  Decluttering is the hardest step in creating a peaceful space, but deciding what you’d rather not have around is necessary for making the following steps effective. Once you’ve donated your unwanted items, be sure to organize what you want to keep. Give each item a home and keep it there.

Add some spa-like decor.

From crystals to curtains, adding some spa-inspired elements will freshen up your space and give it a luxurious feeling. Adding a Himalayan salt lamp can do wonders for your health and your room. Simply turn it on and let the low, warm lighting set your mood for some relaxation. To make your space less choppy and to add some flow, take down your blinds and replace them with some neutral-colored curtains. This step will add an elegant feeling to your area without taking away your privacy. If you want to take this step even further, swap some of your bold-colored decor with neutral-colored versions to relax the eyes when in your space. 

Liven things up with some greenery.

Plants in fun pots on a shelf
Photo by Prudence Earl from Unsplash

It seems like everyone includes plants in their decor these days, and they might be onto something. Not only are plants aesthetically pleasing, but they have significant health benefits as well. From providing fresh air to boosting your mood, plants can provide many positive improvements to your room and your life. Adding some greenery will give you the feeling of being in your very own private garden, from the comfort of your room.

Get cozy with it.

Soft blankets, soft rugs, soft everything. Comfort is key in making your space a perfect retreat. Without it, you’re sure to become restless, which can, in turn, increase your stress, rather than prevent it. To achieve this comfort, make sure you have cozy bedding and rugs. Materials such as fleece and polyester make for wonderfully soft blankets, while wool and cotton create tangibly touchably soft rugs. Bedding and rugs made from these materials will increase the level of comfort in your space and add an additional element of much-needed self-indulgence. This will transport you to a more tranquil mindset.

Scent is everything.

lit candles at home
Photo by Rebecca Peterson-Hall from Unsplash

It’s no secret that scent can alter your mood. Take your area from bland to grand by giving it a fragrance that adds luxury. To maintain a serene space, find a room spray or candle that you absolutely love and make it your signature scent. When you light the candle or spray the room spray, you’ll be able to smell the magic at work. Keep the space smelling fresh by using your fragrance of choice frequently. When you walk into your home, you’ll instantly feel more relaxed when you smell your signature scent.

It might seem like a lot of work, but with these steps, your area will feel considerably more serene than it ever has before, and you deserve precisely that. Transforming your space into your own personal sanctuary can do wonders for relieving stress and improving mental health, plus who doesn’t want to feel like they’re in a spa 24/7? Once you complete this room renovation, you can sit back, relax and enjoy your newly tranquil space. The process is so worth the result.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Emily is a junior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and minoring in Communications. In her free time, she enjoys singing, discovering new music, and tracking down the best coffee in Tallahassee. Find her on Instagram @emischutz.
Her Campus at Florida State University.