As we all know, our oceans, forests, rivers and overall environment are experiencing radical changes. Considering that Tallahassee is littered with empty, crushed beer cans and cigarette stubs, we aren’t exactly witnessing eco-friendly sustainable changes on our home turf. If you aren’t familiar with the concept of sustainability, here’s the definition: “the quality of causing little or no damage to the environment and therefore able to continue for a long time.” Climate change is a serious problem, no matter how many people deny it but there are simple steps that we all could take to keep the cute turtles in the ocean swimming for longer! Maybe these steps could also help keep the human race alive.

1. Buy a reusable cup

Think of how many plastic water bottles we throw away daily and don’t even get me started on how many Starbucks cups we threw away during finals week! A reusable cup or water bottle could prevent creating so much waste. Just keep it in your bag and skip the plastic when going to grab food or your favorite Starbucks drink. I got mine from Starbucks for $3 and you actually get discounts every time you bring your reusable cup!

2. Use reusable bags

Photo by Sylvie Tittel on Unsplash

Plastic can take hundreds of years to decompose. You know those thin plastic bags at the grocery store that you put your apples and oranges in? Those can take up to 1000 years to decompose. Instead, purchase one of those 99 cent bags at the check-out lane and keep bringing it back. You also don’t even need to put your produce in those bags, just wash your apples when you get home! Amazon also sells super cheap reusable woven bags that you can take to the grocery store yourself. Just like using the reusable cups at Starbucks, some stores will give you discounts for bringing your own bags!​

3. Buy a wooden toothbrush

Photo by Laura Mitulla on Unsplash

Did you know that toothbrushes take over 400 years to decompose? We go through a new toothbrush every 3-6 months! Wooden toothbrushes are a sustainable alternative taking only 5 years to decompose. Most brands even sell some infused with charcoal to keep those pearly whites shining!

4. Get some reusable on-the-go silverware.

I used to be so guilty for collecting so much plastic silverware from fast food joints when I would grab lunch on my way to class. It’s something that most people don’t think about. Amazon sells wooden and metal utensils that come rolled up in a fabric case that you can keep in your purse or car so you never have to ask for a plastic fork again!

5. Skip the plastic shampoo bottles

This might sound like a weird one, but think of how many plastic shampoo, conditioner and body wash bottles we go through every year. Lush sells shampoo and conditioner bars that you can keep in metal tins. I can vouch for these products and say they work just as good as my Herbal Essences! Using shampoo in a bar form doesn’t sound the most practical but it actually lathers up pretty well and doesn’t leave your hair feeling dry or greasy. Did I mention Lush products are all-natural, vegan and come in reusable containers? Such a win!

I know that taking all these steps can sound like a bit much all at once, but taking small steps each day can dramatically improve how sustainable we can all be as a community. Do your part to help keep our city and earth beautiful clean! 

Born and raised in Florida. Currently a senior studying marketing at Florida State University. My passions include scrolling endlessly through social media, enjoying time with friends, and being near any body of water.
Her Campus at Florida State University.