*This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU

Since its founding, Uber has grown to become one of the top transportation services in the United States. With the touch of a button on your phone, you can order and pay for an Uber to take you anywhere you need. Recently, there have been many reports of imposter Uber drivers attempting to pick up unsuspecting riders. Although Uber may be a faster, more convenient way to get to your destination than an actual taxicab would be, there are definitely more dangers that come with riding in an Uber. Here are five tips to stay safe when using Uber:

1. Let someone know that you ordered an Uber.

Whenever you order an Uber, you’re given a time estimate for when the driver will arrive and a time estimate as to when you will get to your destination. Once the driver arrives, make sure you let someone know where you’re going and what time you’re supposed to arrive. By letting someone know your location and arrival time, they will know if something is wrong and will be able to get help if you don’t check in with them by the time you gave them. Although it may seem a bit much to constantly update someone on your whereabouts, it’s worth it to have someone watching out for you and ready to get help if needed.

2. Pay attention to the driver information that is given to you.

The driver’s picture, name, car type, license plate number and a rating of the driver will pop up on the screen once the Uber is sent your way. Remembering this information is extremely important so you know who to look for, what kind of car they’ll be driving and what others have said about the driver. Do not get in a car if it’s not the one the app said would be coming.

3. Look for the Uber sticker.

Before you approach the car, check and see if there is an Uber decal sticker. The sticker should be black with a white U on it on either the driver’s windshield or in the right rear window. Each registered driver with Uber is sent a decal to put on their car, so do not get in the car if it does not have a decal, no matter what the driver may say.

4. Ask the driver their name.

After you get to the car, ask the driver for their name. Don’t ask them, “Are you ___?” because they can just say yes. This is the easiest way to make sure that the driver in front of you is who is supposed to be picking you up. If they don’t say the name that was given to you, simply don’t get into the car.

5. Wait inside for your Uber.

The driver will call you once they arrive to let you know that they’re outside. It’s important to stay inside so you don’t appear vulnerable for someone to drive up and pretend to be an Uber driver.

Overall, the benefits of Uber do not seem to outweigh the risks. The convenience of being able to order a car and pay for it with the tap of a button on your phone may be more convenient than calling a cab company and paying with a card, but convenience should not be prioritized over your safety. If you still choose to use Uber instead of a taxicab service, make sure you follow these safety procedures!

Her Campus at Florida State University.