5 Female-Led Shows Worth Binge-Watching This Winter

There’s nothing cozier than cuddling up in bed on a winter night with a warm cup of cocoa and a good television show. Winter break is right around the corner and there’s a lot of time to catch up on some Netflix and chill time. Pun intended. Between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime or even whatever torrent site you may use, there are plenty of amazing shows to pass the cold time inside. There have been a great deal of shows released of late with a driven female protagonist. So why not get emotionally invested in some new shows that us collegiettes may be able to relate to? Of course we have the classics like Buffy Vampire Slayer and neo-classics like Orange Is the New Black. Huddle up with a snuggie and a hot drink, its Netflix and chill time. But actually just Netflix and chill. Not “Netflix and chill.”

Courtesy: Decider

1. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

If you love good humored absurdity, Unbreakable is definitely a must watch. Our titular character, Kimmy Schmidt, goes on a New York City journey filled with self-reinvention, strange romance, important friendships and whole lot of ridiculous adventure. It was created by Tina Fey, so of course Unbreakable has some Grade-A humor. The series is currently only one season long and available to stream on Netflix.

Courtesy: Comedy Central

2. Broad City

This comedy series also takes place in New York City, following the lives of two best friends and their shenanigans. Like with most duos, there’s the more sensible half, Abbi, and the more unpredictable half, Ilana.  If you love Workaholics or even stoner comedy, Broad City is the perfect new show to pick up. Both seasons are available on Hulu while the third season premieres in February 2016 on Comedy Central.

Courtesy: Hollywood News Source

3. Jessica Jones

If kickass superhero thrillers are your thing, then get on board with Netflix and Marvel’s newest collaboration, Jessica Jones. A massive comic superhero resurgence has started within the last decade with film and television, and thankfully female superheroes are getting some more love. Admittedly, Jessica, a former superhero turned private investigator isn’t your typical super woman in a cape and tight costume. She’s a young woman who has her own problems just like the rest of us, except she can stop a moving car and has a mind controlling supervillain as a stalker. So maybe a little more extreme than most of our lives. The premiere season of Jessica Jones is currently available to stream on Netflix in full.

Courtesy: Hulu

4. Scandal

The popularity of this show honestly just speaks for itself. We all probably know at least one person who religiously watches every new episode of Scandal as it comes out. Scandal along with How to Get Away with Murder are actually on my own personal “to watch” list. I just know Scandal is a must watch for those who love drama. Mainly because people look like they’ve been through a hurricane after watching a couple episodes. The first four seasons are available on Netflix while the fifth installment is currently airing on ABC.

Courtesy: WordPress

5. Girls

The quarter-life crisis is a real thing for millennials and Girls is a perfect example of that. Girls is all about a group of twenty-something learning from their mistakes and becoming the people they want to be. Of course this comes with romantic and friendship struggles as well as development within familial and professional relationships. Although Girls definitely has its funny moments, it’s a show that can get a young person seriously thinking “what am I even doing with my life?” Whether that’s a good or bad thing, is up to you. Four seasons of Girls are available to stream on Amazon Prime and HBO Go.

Daniella is a senior at Florida State University, double majoring in Communications and English with a concentration in Editing, Writing and Media. She aspires to work as a writer at a publication dedicated to fashion, art, pop culture, and overall creativity. In her spare time she enjoys drawing, watching films, discovering new music, and contemplating life in the shower.
Her Campus at Florida State University.