Style

5 Ethical Fashion Brands That Are Actually Affordable

Fast fashion is easy for consumers because it’s just that: fast and inexpensive. As it only lasts for a couple of seasons, it’s easy for us to end up buying clothes more often than we should. And when it comes to ethical fashion, we know the price tags for pieces with more quality can be scary. For this reason, we are sharing brands that make ethically shopping an affordable experience so that we are able to feel good and look good, without breaking our wallets.

For the purpose of this article, we will use the following price scale:

$ = Up to $25

$$ = $25–$50

$$$ = $50–$80

1. Everlane

Based in: California, USA

Ethics: Ethical production process, transparency

Price Range: $-$$

Courtesy: Everlane

If you like turning basic into boldness, Everlane suits you perfectly. Their ethically-made basics come with a twist in their design and in stunning colors. They spend months finding the best factories around the world and building relationships with the same ones to ensure their integrity and ethical production. They believe customers have the right to know what their products cost to make and to also know where they were made.

2. PACT

Based in: Colorado, USA

Ethics: Fair Trade Certified, organic cotton, B Corp

Price Range: $-$$

Courtesy: Pact

PACT specializes in making super soft basics that are long-lasting. They use 100% non-GMO cotton to produce soft tees, dresses and underwear. The certified B Corp ensures that their entire supply-chain from growing and harvesting organic cotton to sewing and all the processes in between are as clean and responsible as possible.

3. ABLE

Based in: Tennessee, USA

Ethics: Female artisan-made in Peru, fair labor practices, B Corp

Price Range: $-$$

Courtesy: ABLE

ABLE is a feminist brand that supports women and believes that in order to end poverty, you must create economic opportunities, especially for women. Their beautiful and carefully made pieces are made all over the world by fairly paid women who have overcome extraordinary circumstances. The best part? If you don’t like your first purchase, they offer free unlimited US shipping back and forth until you find your perfect fit.

4.  Alternative Apparel

Courtesy: Alternative Apparel

Based in: Georgia, USA

Ethics: Ethical production, Fair Labor Association, Green Certified

Price Range: $$

Whether you’re looking for loungewear, gift sets, accessories or even socks, Alternative Apparel has got you covered. Their factories operate in accordance with the Fair Labor Association Workplace Code of Conduct and they make over 70% of their garments with sustainable materials and processes while ensuring workers receive fair pay and safe working conditions.

5.  Outdoor Voices

Courtesy: Outdoor Voices

Based in: Texas, USA

Ethics: Uses recycled materials, ethical production

Price Range: $$-$$$

It’s extremely rare to find brands that produce ethical activewear. Outdoor Voices was founded with the purpose of creating high-quality activewear that encourages both men and women to get out and active. They are constantly looking for better and more sustainable fabrics to get sweaty in, such as their recycled polyester and their sustainably produced Merino wool. The brand takes great care in the selection of their stateside and overseas factory partners, keeping working conditions and ethical practices as their first priority.

Peruvian and with 18 years old, she is a junior at Florida State University majoring in Communication and minoring in Recreation and Events. She loves everything related to fashion and photography; and after graduation she aspires to put her skills and attitudes to work at a major fashion publication. Follow her on Instagram @valeeriva.
Her Campus at Florida State University.