4 Pros and Cons of Having a Pet in College

Lately, it seems just about everyone I know is getting a dog — it seems to be becoming more of a trend than anything. While dogs are some of the sweetest companions, they are a lot of responsibility and require a lot of their owners, especially if you get them when they’re puppies. So before heading to the adoption center or a breeder, take a couple of these pros and cons into consideration.

Pro: Dogs can make an apartment a home. This is probably the biggest reason that collegiettes are adopting man’s best friend. Being a couple hundred to a couple thousand miles away from home can be lonesome, and coming home to a wiggly ball of fur that is happy to see you can definitely ease the homesickness.

Con: Training/spending time with them. Unfortunately, dogs don’t come with the ability to sit on command, nor do they know the difference between your favorite pair of shoes and their chew toys. All of that takes training, which takes time that you probably don’t have. Class, work, internships, clubs and organizations, and whatever social life you can squeeze in there take up the majority of your time. It just wouldn’t be practical to expect your new pup to be house broken in just a few weeks when you’re never around to take them outside. Aside from the training, dogs are social animals and keeping them cooped up in your apartment all day long while you run around getting everything done or go out with your friends at night isn’t fair to them.

Pro: Dogs are a lot of fun. They are often the celebrities of Landis Green, happy hour, or tailgates, which can lead to you meeting a lot of new friends and for guys, a lot of pretty ladies. Even when you aren’t at Landis throwing a Frisbee with your furry friend, it’s enjoyable to take them for walks on days when the weather is actually enjoyable or to just watch them run around the house doing funny dog things. They can be a great source of entertainment for you and your friends.

Con: Dogs are really expensive. This is probably the biggest and most realistic con of getting a dog in college. Besides the actual expense of buying the pup from a breeder or an adoption center, dogs need food, bowls, collar and leash, shots, regular vet check-ups, and sometimes medication when they’re sick. We’re talking thousands of dollars all for a pet that you barely even have time to enjoy between all the activities and homework that you need to get done. Add the cost of replacing furniture they tear up when they’re younger and the carpet they ruin because you haven’t had time to potty train them, and we’re talking even more money. Not to mention, most apartment complexes that allow pets charge an additional pet fee or a couple hundred dollars in a deposit in the chance that your friend chews through the couch — which they will probably do.

Dogs are wonderful and sweet animals that really add joy to anyone’s life, but in this case the cons outweigh the pros and you should seriously consider if you have the time and the money to take care of a completely dependent puppy before picking out a name and deciding what color collar you’ll be getting them.

Kelsey is a junior here at Florida State majoring in Creative Writing and double minoring in Psychology and Spanish. Kelsey hopes to graduate in December 2015 and move to Spain to teach English for a few years while exploring the continent, eating lots of yummy food, and maybe learning how to be a better dancer. After Spain she hopes to return to the US of A and get a job in publishing while she works on her novels and short stories. In her free time Kelsey enjoys reading, taking naps, watching Netflix, and exploring places she's never been. She has an odd fascination with serial killer documentaries and aquariums. She loves all things Jane Austen, even her pet fish is named after the famous Pride and Prejudice hero, Mr. Darcy. If not found in her room writing or napping, you can find Kelsey holding the nearest cute baby or wandering the aisles of Barnes and Noble.
Her Campus at Florida State University.