3 Places Every FSU Collegiette Should Know About

Coming to a new city tends to be difficult. On top of trying to find your way around a new town, you’re faced with trying to figure out jobs, relationships, and classes. It won’t occur to you until too late that you don’t know where the best places to go to for car maintenance, shopping, hair styling, or even relaxing are. But don’t worry, in 3 places or less, this article will teach you about some of the best locations in town!

1) Bob’s Auto Repair Center

939 W Gaines St

Tallahassee, Florida 32304 

It’s extremely important for every young female to know a good mechanic. It’s no myth that mechanics attempt to smart-mouth their way into getting paid more by coming up with unknown issues. Sometimes they see a young face and assume they must not know anything about cars.

That’s not the case at Bob’s. Not once have I ever felt taken advantage of while I was there. I had my car break down for over two months and was finally able to get it towed right over there without any issues.

When I arrived, Misty Sullivan (owner and operator) took great care in making sure my car was fixed immediately and that there was no talk of any false excess issues. You know the talk, “there’s a unicorn in your radiator that slashed your tires and somehow made your engine blow so it’s going to cost you an arm and a leg” when all you needed was an oil change.

2) Hair on Earth   

741 N Monroe St

Tallahassee, FL 32303

As someone who adores her hair, the only place I will ever go to is Hair on Earth. It is absolutely one of the best salons in Tallahassee; the customer service is fantastic and friendly.

It came to a point where I wasn’t going home often enough to get my hair cut from my trusted stylist back home, so I did some research and found this cute little shop. Located right next to a tattoo parlor, I was a little intimidated (I wondered if they offered a buy one get one free special too), but this place has become my “salon away from salon.”

3) Lake Ella

Located off of N Monroe St. Right after 7th Ave

I originally wanted to focus solely on this adorable shop called the Quarter Moon, but Lake Ella contains so much more than that; the area itself is a place that every collegiette needs to know.

Across the street from this beautiful lake is Publix, where shopping actually is a pleasure and items are actually in stock. The Publix on Ocala Corners tends to be over-crowded, under-stocked, and parking is terrible. The Lake Ella Publix is home to cute elderly couples, quiet parking, and a calmer shopping experience.

Quarter Moon is an independently owned shop that has everything from dresses to incense to jewelry. The shop owner and employees are always kind and love that you chose to shop with them. Support local businesses!

Black Dog Café is located here as well and provides amazing coffee, is a great place to study, and an even better place to go for coffee after walking around the lake with your date ;).

There’s tons more in Tallahassee that every young woman should know, but here are the starters. These will help you get around town and discover even more places to go. The more you chat with the locals, the more you’ll learn about this beautiful city you’ll call home for the next few years! 

Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."