A 20-Something’s Reading List: Young Adult Books

The life of a 20-something is full of passion, excitement, adventure and learning. She goes to class, goes to the gym, goes to an art opening, goes to a frat party, takes hundreds of bubble baths, reads books that make her laugh and cry, meets new friends who inspire her and eats loads of sushi. Amidst it all, she calls her mom crying about a broken friendship, laughs with friends over embarrassing first date stories and falls in love – with herself, with another human, with a new series on Netflix.  

You’re not alone on this rollercoaster ride through your twenties. Many have gone before you, have struggled, laughed, cried, danced around on their 22nd birthday – and many have written about it all. Fictional or nonfictional, authors everywhere have crafted beautiful stories full of heartache, passion and adventure that hold so much weight for young adult readers. Here are three young-adult books to add to your reading list for times when you long for advice from someone other than mom (no offense, mom, you’re great), need a good laugh, want to feel inspired or just want to know that you are not alone in your experiences and sufferings. This weekend, stay inside, cozy up on your couch, pour yourself some tea (or some wine, it’s the weekend) and proclaim to your friends that you can’t go out tonight, because your weekend is all booked.

1. The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd

Sue Monk Kidd’s novel is a beautifully crafted coming-of-age story during the 1960s, a period of historical significance. The novel centers on young Lily Owens, who is living with her abusive father and is haunted by memories of her mother, who died years ago. Lily, after getting into some trouble, runs off and finds shelter amongst the Boatwright family, an eccentric group of sisters who also happen to be a trio of black beekeepers. The story is full of drama, love and familial bonds as Lily struggles with her self-worth and comes to find love in her family with the Boatwrights. If you love the book, you’re in luck: there’s a movie starring Dakota Fanning as Lily Owens. Happy reading!

“Nobody around here had ever seen a lady beekeeper till her. She liked to tell everybody that women made the best beekeepers, ‘cause they have a special ability built into them to love creatures that sting. It comes from years of loving children and husbands.”

Courtesy: The Motion Pictures

Courtesy: Coolspotters

2. Why We Broke Up, Daniel Handler

Many of you may not recognize the name Daniel Handler, but – surprise! – he is the genius behind the A Series of Unfortunate Events book series. Why We Broke Up is a beautiful novel for more than just the story line. The pages are covered in magical illustrations, created by Maira Kalman, that ease readers through the story of a couple’s break-up. Min Green and Ed Slaterton are the couple in question, and Min is giving Ed a box full of artifacts from their relationship, along with a letter explicating the stories behind each object. These stories are shared with the readers through eloquent and charming prose. Handler’s diction and syntax is what makes this story so heartbreaking and intimate. The descriptions are so vivid, and the illustrations make them even more so. See, you’re not the only one who has suffered through a break-up. Min Green is right there with you.

Courtesy: Tumblr

Courtesy: Tumblr

Courtesy: Junior Library Guild

Another cool aspect of this book is the website connecting with it where you can submit your own break-up story and read other submissions as well. We’re all in this together. Daniel Handler makes break-ups seem much less sad and much more fun, which may be just what you need.

3. I’ll Give You the Sun, Jandy Nelson

This young adult novel is a story of love, tragedy and family that is heavily influenced by art (there are sculptors and painters galore), and is ridiculously inspirational. The premise of the book revolves around a pair of twins, Noah and Jude, who have grown apart and no longer speak. But how did they get there? Noah tells us the beginning of their story, starting at age 13 when he struggles with first love and familial difficulties and self-realization. Jude tells us the later years of the story, when she, at age 16, deals with these same difficulties while lamenting over her failed relationship with her brother. You’ll fall in love with the twins, and with the people they meet along the way. The plot is rather complex, but Nelson ties everything together with such ease. The two twins have only half of the story, and Nelson brings them together again in a magnificent manner. Don’t worry, there’s a happy ending. It’s the journey to the happy ending that will leave you breathless, have you crying heaps of tears and have you choking on laughter (usually at the same time).

“This is what I want: I want to grab my brother’s hand and run back through time, losing years like coats falling from our shoulders.”

“Quick, make a wish. Take a (second or third or fourth) chance. Remake the world.” 

Courtesy: The Writings of an Imaginary Girl

McKenna is a junior at Florida State University studying History and Editing, Writing, and Media. As an avid reader, her bookshelves are overflowing; her literary taste ranges from Jane Austen and the classics to Stephen King and young adult novels. She is a theater geek, sporadically breaking out into song (the Phantom of the Opera is here!) in the checkout line at Publix. She owns way too many coffee mugs, but never has enough Star Wars merchandise. She has a passion for writing, and has been known to write love letters to the greatest men in her life (Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, Dick van Dyke, to name a few). She is more than excited to join the Her Campus team this semester! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.