Career

Let’s Talk (and Shop) Business Casual and Professional Attire

Being a student in college can be challenging, but what about when you’re juggling courses and a professional job that requires you to revamp your whole closet full of professional work attire? One word: brutal.

I’ve always had a good wardrobe that I can style how I like for the season and occasion, but last summer I started my first internship that required me to wear business casual clothes. I had items in my closet at the time that were business casual, but it was stuff I picked out just to pick out because I needed them. 

Also, I couldn’t find business casual clothes that worked together to make an outfit. I’d go to Marshalls and find all these great pieces, like a dress shirt and black slacks, but the shirt would be too flowy for the pants or something like that. Really, what I’m saying is I didn’t know how to style business casual — but now I do. 

Two internships and constantly working in my career field have helped me to understand how to style professional clothes while still dressing the way I want to dress. Everyone has their own personality, and it should shine through the clothes you’re wearing. If you don’t feel good in your clothes, you won’t feel good at all. So get that confidence back and find professional clothes that work for you! 

What to wear

What students wear for their jobs may depend on their personal preferences. I would recommend starting with a few pieces of basic clothes: Black and white dress pants, three or four basic dress tops, a pair of closed-toe heels, and a pair of loafers or flats.

These are a few of the clothing pieces I started with, and after learning what clothes I liked and disliked, I could keep buying and adding to my clothes. Starting with these few items will help anyone just starting to shop this clothing style. To be honest, I just bought my first blazer last week, so this shows you don’t need to purchase a full blazer and pantsuit set right now. You can take your time shopping and finding your business style! 

where to shop

Zara and h&m

Zara and H&M have a great selection of clothes for all ages who are shopping for business casual. They have pants, shirts, shoes, and bags to compliment the full outfit. You can find some classic staple pieces for a reasonable price, which is great for college students on a budget! 

Prettylittlething, Princess Polly, and more

All of these online stores have many business casual sets that go together. They also have a great selection of tops and pants for any workday outfit. Also, any website you purchase clothes from probably has dress pants or work dresses for sale. Make sure to check your favorite online retailers and see what they have to offer. 

Target

Target is where I bought my blazer last week, and it’s a great blazer for a decent price. I have bought pants and tops here, but I would recommend the pants over tops. Target doesn’t seem to have a good assortment of dress tops, but they have professional pants galore! 

marshalls and tjmaxx

Not everyone likes Marshalls and TJ Maxx, but they have a great selection of dress pants and slacks. I personally love Marshalls, and I shop here all the time. Marshalls and TJ Maxx also have great deals on dress shirts and dressed-up tank tops. They’re great stores for college students trying to build their wardrobes. 

Goodwill and thrift stores

Sometimes, I can find dress shirts at Goodwill or consignment stores. Thrift stores always have a great work clothing section of skirts and pants, so I’m sure you can find something if you take a look. 

I hope your fashion journey into business casual goes well! Keep adding to your closet, and you’ll have the perfect workday outfits in no time. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Kaitlyn is a media and communication studies student from Florida State University. She is also pursuing a minor in journalism from Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University. This is Kaitlyn's first semester at Her Campus FSU! Kaitlyn is interning at Tallahassee Woman Magazine. She previously interned for News4Jax in Jacksonville, Florida. Kaitlyn's career goal is to become a broadcast journalist. She enjoys being able to tell stories from the local community. Kaitlyn grew up in Sarasota, Florida, and Melbourne, Florida. Kaitlyn loves thrifting, fashion, working out, and going on trips with her family and friends.