Life > Academics

Building Legacy: A Look Inside FSU’s Upcoming Legacy Hall

My favorite thing about Florida State University (FSU) is how beautiful our campus is. From the stunning red brick buildings to the breathtaking greens, it’s clear that FSU cares about creating a beautiful place for its students to learn. It only makes sense that they are unveiling a brand-new business building, Legacy Hall, which is expected to be done in 2025, just in time for the College of Business’ 75th anniversary

As of right now, FSU’s College of Business building is located in Rovetta Business Building (RBB) on Academic Way. While I am not a business major or affiliated with the college, I have passed it several times due to its prominent location. RBB was built over sixty years ago in 1958, and was pretty small at the time of its creation with only 800 students. The building also includes an annex (RBB Building B), which was added in 1984 as more students started enrolling in the College of Business. It’s safe to say that the business department has only been growing since then, with nine options available for majoring!  

Due to this incredible increase in popularity over the last few decades, Legacy Hall is now under construction! It will be located “on the corner of West Gaines Street and MLK Boulevard” in a city-wide attempt to urbanize what will soon be understood as the “Arena District.” It even appears that FSU has three more points of future development in this area, so keep an eye out for more changes! 

While the building is still under construction, the vision for the college is very ambitious. The construction is a hefty $120 million undertaking, according to their website, with roughly $30 million of this being covered by Governor Ron DeSantis. While this sounds like a crazy cost, the figure starts to make sense after viewing Legacy Hall’s official renderings for the college, which includes five floors of classrooms, communal spaces, faculty spaces, and technological facilities. 

This project is a significant commitment for FSU. Undergoing such a valuable investment is truly indicative of what the university is trying to prioritize moving forward. Clearly, the College of Business needed a makeover, but it also tells us that the department is really trying to ‘elevate’ its status and national recognition. FSU is always trying to advance and refine itself, whether this be in regards to areas of study, buildings, etc. 

Overall, this development for the College of Business is a huge deal, both for the university and for the city of Tallahassee. Urbanizing different areas of town serves to create an even more captivating atmosphere for residents and visitors alike. Personally, I believe advancing our local spaces should continue to be a priority for us here at FSU and Tallahassee as a whole. It’s no secret that our institution is a big part of the Tallahassee environment, so our growth carries a lot of importance. It is truly wonderful to see the university continue to flourish as the years go on.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest! 

Alyssa Yon is a first year student at Florida State University studying English literature, media, and culture. She loves painting, writing, and listening to music!