Culture > News

Florida Legislature Passes a 6-Week Abortion Ban and People Are Responding

On Thursday, April 14, the Florida Legislature passed a six-week abortion ban that then also passed the Governor’s desk. Senate Bill 300, cited as the “Heartbeat Protection Act” (also known as the six-week abortion ban) has come after a 15-week abortion ban was passed last legislative session.

Discussions in the Florida House of Representatives were heated and lasted for several hours. Florida House Democrats filed more than 50 amendments to the bill. Among these amendments included Representative Anna Eskamani’s, which would have changed the bill name from the “Heartbeat Protection Act” to the “Forced Pregnancy Act.” Representative Johanna Lopez’s would have established the “Academic Success of Pregnant Survivors of Rape Grant Program.”

All amendments filed by Democrats failed, but they did stir up a commotion among people viewing the legislative session in person. About halfway through the amendment discussion process, Democrats “took a vote to the board” meaning that legislators must indicate whether they are saying “yes” or “no” to the amendment rather than shouting “yea” or “nay.” Voting on the board is used to ensure that the votes of legislators are recorded for constituents to see.

This amendment, once again, failed and protestors in the gallery threw confetti and paper down onto the floor. In response, a recess was called, and the gallery was cleared. But it did not stop folks from continuing to express their disapproval of this bill. A group of approximately 50 people, including Democratic House members, gathered outside the House chambers and sang “Lean on Me.”

Following the recess, House members returned to session and the protestors (who were from the organization “OccupyTally”) returned outside to continue their advocacy. Ultimately, after hours of questioning, amendments, and debate Senate Bill 300 passed with 70 yeas and 40 nays. Every Democrat that was present for the vote, voted to oppose the legislation and several Republican House members also voted against it.

The bill was then signed into law by Governor Ron DeSantis and a six-week abortion ban will go into effect 30 days after the Florida Supreme Court rules this law is constitutional. But legislators and activists have expressed that “the fight is far from over.”

On Saturday, April 14, Congressperson Maxwell Frost and Representative Anna Eskamani coolaborated with Planned Parenthood of Florida to host a virtual day of action.

Protests are also being organized by young people across the state and advocacy-focused organizations are encouraging people to call and email Governor Ron DeSantis and express their disapproval of this legislation. Finally, House members on the floor yesterday committed to ensuring that abortion remains accessible for people who need it. They expressed that they could do this by educating constituents on out-of-state abortion options.

While people will still be able to travel out-of-state for an abortion, it is expensive and inaccessible for many Floridians. Students who are interested in taking action should consider donating to an abortion fund like the Florida Access Network which helps keep abortions accessible to everyone.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

My name is Alexis Dorman and I am a second-year, honors student at Florida State University. I am pursuing a dual degree in International Affairs and Political Science, with minors in Chinese and Education. For the past 8 years, I've spent my time volunteering, participating in a variety of clubs and extracurricular activities, and making the most of my educational career. I am passionate about international affairs, political science, current events, and diplomacy. Aside from my academic interests I enjoy writing, art, music, and movies!