While many people are familiar with the popular app TikTok, a particular niche has blown up into a massive enterprise over the past few months. A segment of TikTok called “BookTok” has taken the app by storm and surpassed many other social media sites when it comes to advertising and marketing for new projects. Over the past year, many books and smaller authors have exploded into major popularity, and this has changed the game for many authors. Now, many of these books are even being brought to the big screen and bringing these stories to life.

Beach Read by Emily Henry

Anyone that knows me knows why this book is first on my list of movie adaptations. Although this one was just announced, it holds a special place in my heart. Beach Read is one of my favorite books to exist on this Earth and Emily Henry never fails to amaze me with her writing. I would gladly read her shopping list and still be amazed. Beach Read follows January Andrews, a romance author who is in a bit of a rut after finding out the truth behind her parents’ marriage after their death. After moving into his old house, she quickly becomes acquainted with her neighbor Augustus Everett, a science fiction author, the opposite of January. One afternoon, January and Augustus strike a deal to write a book in the other’s genre for the summer to see if it can get them out of their writer’s block. Except, will summer blur the lines between their friendship? Go read to find out!

While movie adaptations of books can be scary a lot of times, I have faith that this one will hold true to the book and be an amazing movie. I have a feeling this movie will be very similar to The Summer I Turned Pretty book adaptation, which will be the perfect summer vibe! Along with this book, there has also been some talk of adapting Henry’s two most recent books as well including Book Lovers and People We Meet on Vacation. Since the movie announcement for this book came out recently, there is no release date for it, but if you’re curious, stay updated on Henry’s Instagram—she’s very active!

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson

This book is truly underrated, and I feel that anyone that has read it would agree. I found this book from BookTok and immediately fell in love. My roommate read it right after I did and gushed about it right after. A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder follows Pippa, a high school journalism student who has just been assigned her final-year project on her own town’s cold case. The case was closed, and the murderer of Andie Bell was dead. Except, was he? As Pippa starts to uncover secrets that were supposed to stay hidden, she finds herself in more danger than she could imagine, but could the real killer still be out there? I guess you’ll have to read the book to find out!

This book is actually part of a three-book series, and each book is just as good as the last. This adaptation was announced to start filming in 2023, but we still have not been given a release date. Unlike many adaptations, this one is being turned into a TV show rather than a movie. I have gone back and forth on whether I think this adaptation is going to be good. Since this book is not as popular, I have the feeling it might be a lower budget but I’m going to have faith in the process and of course, watch it as soon as it comes out. I advise you to do the same!

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Taylor Jenkins Reid is another author that I truly adore. Every book she puts out is amazing and never ceases to impress me. While many people know and have watched her most recent adaption, Daisy Jones and the Six, this is another book of hers that is just as good. While this one is also becoming a TV show, we will have to wait a little longer since it’s still in the earliest stages of pre-production, with the highly-anticipated casting yet to be announced.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo follows the reclusive Hollywood actress Evelyn Hugo, who agrees to do an interview with a struggling journalist Monique Grant, who Hugo hand-picks for the job. Throughout the book, we slowly learn the truth behind Hugo’s life, and everyone around her, between ambition, betrayal, scandals, unexpected friendship, and forbidden love. This is a book that you won’t be able to put down once you pick it up, so I’m only hoping the show will be the same.

While there are many more BookTok books that are coming to the big screen, these three are some of my most anticipated and I don’t think they will disappoint. As always, if you want to chat about books and more, my socials are always open!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hey, I'm Kori! I'm a junior at Florida State University, majoring in Creative Writing and Marketing. I'm originally from Orlando, and in my spare time I love binge-watching rom-coms and reading whatever I can get my hands on!