Life > Experiences

How to Spend Your Summer in Tallahassee

Whether you’re taking summer classes, completing an internship, or just staying in Tallahassee for the summer, it may seem like there’s not much to do to fill your time here. If you’re an incoming freshman, you’re most likely new to the area and wondering what there is to do in Tallahassee. Or you may be an upperclassman staying in Tallahassee over the summer for the first time with more time on your hands than you know what to do with. Whatever the case is, Tallahassee has a lot to offer during the summer. Here are four things to do over the summer in Tallahassee.  

1. Outdoor Trails 

With over 700 plus miles of hiking, biking, riding, and paddling trails, Tallahassee, also called “Trailahassee,” is the perfect place for those who love the outdoors. Whether you’re an avid runner or just looking to get outside and move your body, Tallahassee is filled with amazing trails and parks for whatever it is you’re into. Some popular parks and trails include Cascades Park, which is close to campus, and Lafayette Trail, which has beautiful scenery. Take advantage of the warm weather and long days by getting outside for a peaceful stroll or a hot girl walk. 

2. Art Center at the Student Union 

Trying to tap into your creative side this summer? Take an art class at the Student Union Art Center. From a beginning painting class to a beginning pottery wheel class, and even a beginning jewelry class, you can pick up a new hobby with friends or by yourself. Registration for the summer art classes open on April 24, so be sure to mark it in your calendar. If you can’t dedicate the time to an art class, go to Paint-a-Pot at the Askew Student Life Center. With a selection of cups, bowls, and plates to shapes and frames, there’s no shortage of objects you could paint, so save some inspo pics from Pinterest and get to painting! 

3. Group Fitness Class 

A great way to meet new people while having a great workout is through the group fitness classes at the Leach. There’s something for everyone, with Barre, Mat Pilates, Hard Core 30, Total Body Sculpt, and more. There’s also spinning and cycling classes if that’s more up your alley. Break a sweat and get ready to move this summer!  

4. Take a Day Trip Somewhere 

Even though Tallahassee is great, sometimes you need a change of scenery. When this happens, I recommend taking a day trip somewhere to clear your mind and have fun for the day. Whether you make this a solo trip or go with friends, a day trip is the best way to boost your mood and leave your worries back in Tallahassee. This article here has a couple of great locations for day trips, but make sure you pack a couple of snacks and pick out the right playlist to listen to in the car before you hit the road.  

There are tons of great activities to do in Tallahassee and on campus during the summer, despite the common misconception that there aren’t. With fewer people here over these next few months, it’s the perfect time to explore Tallahassee and visit those places you’ve been wanting to get around to. I recommend following a couple of Instagram accounts that post about events happening around the city such as @visit_tally and Facebook groups like Tallahassee Foodies for new restaurants to try.  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest! 

Sydney is a Junior at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida, majoring in Media and Communication Studies. When I'm not planning my next trip, I'm discovering new music, trying new restaurants, and lounging at the beach.