Life > Experiences

My First Backstage Experience With FSU Theatre

This semester, I’ve been lucky enough to crew for FSU’s School of Theatre’s spring 2023 production of Something Rotten. When I first walked through the stage door, I had no idea what I was about to experience.

My Assignment

My original run crew assignment was to only help with wigs. However, I was soon placed to help with some costume responsibilities as well. This meant that every day I would help unpin, touch up wigs and pin them back onto their model head each night. I would also help get wigs on and off actors. I checked if certain outfits were where they had to be at the start and end of each day, and assisted with quick changes.

Committing to a theatre production is no joke. Each person is part of a much bigger whole. It requires you to be available for a few weeks. During this time, My call time typically started at 6 p.m. and ended at 11 p.m. After arriving and clocking in, I would begin the usual routine with costumes and wigs. Then came the extra fun parts.

“Ten Minutes to Places” 

Before each show, after the tumble call and mic check, the cast and crew had a couple of pre-show traditions. It’s been a highlight of my time as a crew member to see the whole company do these together. Whether it be a two-minute plank, jumping around in a circle or repeating after each other, these little traditions are a great way to feel connected and get our blood rushing for what’s about to come.

“Break a Leg”

Every single person in the cast was wonderfully kind and fun. People in the cast would go around and wish each other a great show. There was always a large amount of support and camaraderie backstage. I couldn’t ask for better people to work with. After well-wishes and warmups were over, it was time for places.

Showtime!

You cannot convince me that working on a musical isn’t fun. There is so much I loved about crewing for Something Rotten. One of the greatest feelings is being in the wings watching and supporting so many talented people you know. Add a dance party to the mix and it’s even more wonderful. I cannot count the number of times I have lip-synced and danced around to songs with other crew members. In the event I wasn’t in the wings, I was hanging out in the green room or helping with a quick change. I love these quick changes for so many reasons. I love working with actors. I love helping them have a successful performance. I love the rush the time limit gives me. I love being there for them. I love it all. Showtime was the best time.

While run crew required much dedication, I would never trade away any of that time. Theatre has always been my outlet, as it’s a place where I could truly be my most authentic self and feel safe. There was never a dull moment and I met so many amazing people. Even when I was feeling low, run crew would lift me back up in no time. I would one hundred percent recommend anyone who loves plays or musicals to volunteer for run crew. It served as a reminder of why I love this art form.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest! 

Anastasia Haro is a freshman at Florida State University. If not writing, you can find her watching a movie, taking a walk, or petting the campus cats.