Life > Academics

A Deep Dive Into FSU’s Bathrooms: Let’s Talk About It

I was recently looking for a good spot to study, so I walked around a few different buildings to see what I could find. Eventually, I found a good quiet spot to do my work (shoutout third floor of HCB), and it got me thinking about how many good, little tucked-away study spots there must be on campus that nobody goes to because people don’t go into those buildings very much. And then I had the exact same train of thought about bathrooms on campus. 

I’m sure we can all agree that Florida State University has a beautiful campus; there is certainly no debate about that. While the buildings’ red brick architecture and hints of older style have my whole heart and more, some of the bathrooms at this beautiful institution could use a little revamping. 

I am not promising that any of these bathrooms will be ‘underground’ or unknown by any means, as I cannot in good conscience recommend a restroom that I myself have not utilized or been in. But, hopefully, they can provide somebody with a little insight on the off chance that they can’t find anything near them. 

For the sake of clarity, I’ve hastily divided campus into a few different sections, the science side, the sports side, the middle part and the Landis and Westcott side. I also feel like it’s worth noting that because I am a girl, I can only speak on the women’s restroom sections of campus and cannot guarantee the same quality in the men’s restrooms.

In no particular order:  

student union

First on the list will be no surprise to anyone that has been to them: our dear Student Union bathrooms. Located in the middle section, these bathrooms have so many stalls that I’ve never seen a line for them. The only complaint I have about this bathroom is the small mirror; for a bathroom built to service so many, I’d like to be able to fix my hair without getting in the way of someone washing their hands. Other than that, this bathroom is a great option for someone walking through campus. Plus, it’s on the first floor so you don’t have to go up any stairs. One additional perk of the Union is that they have a nice gender-neutral bathroom downstairs for anyone who would need it.

HCB

Next up is also not really a secret, but the first-floor HCB bathrooms aren’t bad at all. Tucked into the middle section of campus, the room itself is very spacious and there are cute yellow decorative tiles for a nice change from the dull neutrals in other bathrooms. 

UCD

Pivoting over to the sports side of campus, University Center D has very well-kept bathrooms. Unfortunately, it is very far away from everything, but if you’re lucky enough to be close enough and need to use it, it is very nice and bright. Since it’s so far away from everything else, it tends to be empty. An additional perk is that there are very nice desk ladies at the front of the building that give out candy and can help you find the bathroom if you’re lost. 

king building

If you’re looking for something more on the science side of campus, allow me to introduce you to the King Building second-floor bathroom. Now I could go on and on about the King Building bathrooms. The water pressure is great. The lighting? Impeccable. Paper towels? It feels like they’re always stocked. They’re private, tucked away into the back of campus, so you’ll likely be the only one in there. I love the King Building in general (there’s lots of cute study spots if anyone was wondering!), so this is just an extra little perk to enjoy in there. 

psychology building

If you feel inclined to head a little more towards the center of campus, I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Psychology Building bathrooms, specifically the auditorium bathroom. The auditorium bathroom offers a luxurious full-size mirror for its users. If the auditorium is not your speed, the second-floor bathroom is the way to go, it’s quaint and quiet, perfect for a quick trip in between classes. 

HSF House

If you’re closer to Westcott and Landis, the Honors, Scholars and Fellows House Building (HSF) has lovely facilities for your use. Specifically, the fourth-floor bathroom is the way to go due to its relative emptiness and privacy. Overall, this building is very well-kept, so you really can’t go wrong here. 

william johnston

If HSF is not your speed, the William Johnston Building is also close by! This huge building is just next to Landis Green and has not one, not two, not three, but four bathrooms (yes, you read that right) for you to use as you, please. With one set of bathrooms per floor, you’re certain to find exactly what you’re looking for here. 

Having such a big campus can be overwhelming, but it’s definitely nothing crazy once you break it down a little. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!