Fluttering off the Endangered Species List

The Fender’s blue butterfly, also known as Icaricia icariodes fenderi is no longer classified as an endangered species and my heart is fluttering!

Earth has been robbed of many beautiful species due to extinction. Even now, there are many animals at great risk of disappearance. I am someone who loves the numerous creatures that make this planet so biologically abundant. It can be incredibly disheartening to hear that some may end up gone forever in the future if we don’t take the correct measures. Extinction is irreversible. A species even nearing it should cause concern. That is why it is such great news when a species is found to be growing further away from annihilation. It is thanks to many people such as conservationists, scientists and other wildlife enthusiasts collaborating that this newfound discovery has been made possible. 

I never knew about this butterfly species until after I heard the news, but I am so glad I do now. This beautiful blue butterfly is native to the Willamette Valley in Oregon. The males sport gorgeous blue on the top side of their wings that are rimmed with black and white. In comparison, the females’ wings are brown with a rim of white. While there are many other similar-looking blue butterflies, most notably the silvery blue butterfly, I learned that Fender’s blues are identifiable by their two rows of dark dots on the bottom side of their tan wings. These elusive beauties were first discovered in 1931 before rediscovery, decades later after originally being thought to be extinct in 1937. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) first classified the sub-species as endangered in 2000, back then their prairie habitat was declining and they were not found in many areas. This decline occurred due to invasive species of plants and the intrusion of native trees and undergrowth. These unwelcome visitors overtook the lupine plant that the Fender’s blue butterfly survives off. 

Luckily, on Jan. 3, the USFWS proudly announced the reclassification of this butterfly which was once thought to be on the brink of extinction. Despite decades of being classified as endangered, the Fender’s blue butterfly is now graduating to the title of threatened. The notion took effect on Feb. 13. While this may not seem like a big step, I can assure you that this is a great advance in the right direction. 

The USFWS has been able to successfully increase the numbers of these little creatures by collaborating with private landowners and different agencies. These efforts have led Fender’s blue butterflies to occupy twice the amount of land as before. It has also shown the importance of allegiance in conserving even the most delicate of species. The Fender’s blue butterfly’s exit from the endangered list was announced as the Endangered Species Act is coming up on its 50th anniversary, and I personally find this to be a great way to celebrate and demonstrate the importance of animal and wildlife conservation! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Anastasia Haro is a freshman at Florida State University. If not writing, you can find her watching a movie, taking a walk, or petting the campus cats.