Fall Spotify Playlists for Every Mood of the Season

Happy fall, Florida State! As the weather cools down and the semester wraps up, there are bound to be countless emotions all around campus. Whether you’re stressed over finals, prepping for Halloween, fighting off seasonal depression or just enjoying the cool weather, there is always a song to help you through the season. Here are my October playlists and top picks to help out with whatever kind of fall you’re getting into this year!

1.  Folk Songs

I started this playlist as soon as I walked outside and realized that the temperatures dropped. For me, fall can’t be fall without folk music. The guitars, complex melodies and heartwarming lyrics bring a sweetness that can only be helped by the beautiful weather outside. This playlist is for walking to class, studying in the library or just sitting on Landis. It’s mellow with a mix of folk and pop that’ll hopefully soothe some of the more stressful nerves this season.

Some songs on this playlist include: “Swan Upon Leda” by Hozier, “Vines to Make it All Worth It” by Runnner and “Like The Dawn” by The Oh Hellos.

2.  Sad Songs

While many find comfort and nostalgia in the autumn months, others can see fall as the catalyst for stress and seasonal depression. I have always found music to be a great (and affordable) form of therapy when these emotions start to get overwhelming. These songs are great for a good cry or even just a break when you’re studying for finals.

Some songs on this playlist include: “Scott Street” by Phoebe Bridgers, “Sparks” by Coldplay, “Home Again” by Lucy Dacus and “Ceilings” by Lizzy McAlpine.

3.  Picnic Songs

All fall music doesn’t have to be emotional and deep. Autumn marks the beginning of the holiday season, so the feelings of nostalgia and excitement are unavoidable. Since fall doesn’t have holiday songs passed down over generations like other holidays, we’re forced to look outside the box to find songs that match these feelings. This playlist is an attempt to find a level of holiday spirit during the season change.

Some songs on this playlist include: “Gypsy” by Fleetwood Mac, “Mine Forever” by Lord Huron, “From Eden” by Hozier and “Plum” by Widowspeak.

4. Halloween Songs

If there’s one theme that had to make this list, it’s Halloween. Again, we don’t have a surplus of music to choose from, so this playlist is based on my personal preference. There are more than a few hot takes on this list, but hopefully, it’ll get you in the holiday spirit!

Some songs on this playlist include: “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell, “Thriller” by Michael Jackson, “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd and “Disturbia” by Rihanna.

No matter what you’re feeling this fall, there’s always another song that can help you through it. No matter what your fall music taste is, be sure to make the most of it because this weather will be gone before we know it.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Brooke is a freshman at FSU majoring in behavioral neuroscience. She loves all things music and art!