Wellness > Sex + Relationships

10 Things to Do When You Are Single on Valentine’s Day

There’s love everywhere, but don’t let that discourage you from enjoying your Valentine’s Day! With Valentine’s Day around the corner, all the lo­ve birds have come out to showcase their love with gifts, smooching and holding hands. Yuck! Let me explain, I love love and I love seeing it. I am not a hater of Valentine’s Day, but people let it get under their skin seeing couples. Don’t let this one day out of 365 days–well this year 366 days–get you overwhelmed and throwing yourself a pity party because you think you can’t find love. That is not the case. People have come to believe according to society that February 14th is a day that we make the grandest of gestures to confess your love­–yeah no. Love should be shared and expressed in multiple ways and throughout the year. You do not need a day to show social media that you got a thousand roses, a big teddy bear, a diamond ring and a ticket to fly out of the country to Dubai. If anybody wants to do that for me, sign me up. Just kidding of course! If these 10 steps do not encourage you to enjoy yourself for Valentine’s, then I give you permission to sulk and eat a bowl of your favorite ice cream or mine–Ben & Jerry’s Strawberry Cheesecake–while watching Disney movies!

Gif of Charlie Brown saying he'll never get a valentine
Giphy

1. Make plans

Do not sit in the house all day if you are prone to sulking. Go out and do something!

2. Treat yourself

Whether that is to your favorite ice cream, getting your hair done, nails did or a massage.

3. Take yourself out to dinner at your favorite restaurant

It does not matter if you are alone. Just sit down and eat your favorite meal at your favorite place. Enjoy your own company. I do it all the time!

4. Stay in and pamper yourself or hibernate

Sometimes if we just put on a face mask and take a bath with a bottle of wine, it’ll be the most relaxing thing ever! Or you could just sleep for hours to hide away from the world.

5. Stay off social media

Do not get caught up in what everybody is posting. Just turn your phone off and cleanse yourself from the outside world.

6. Hang out with your other single friends

Do little crafts together and enjoy each other’s company. Maybe even go to the melting pot and share chocolate on Tuesdays for student discount day!

Friends having a picnic at a park
Unsplash

7.  Go out to a bar

Drink your favorite drink and maybe even do some karaoke–sing your heart out!

8. Try something new

Whether that is trying a new recipe, read a new book, take a pole dancing class, volunteer, buy a vibrator or buy new clothes.

9. Buy yourself some goodies

It can be that expensive purse you’ve been looking at going to the mall or some chocolate covered strawberries.

10. Just remember to love yourself

This one day does not mean you’ll be lonely. Love comes in all different ways. You can be loved by your family and friends. Always love yourself first because self-love is the best love!

You are not defined by having a significant other in your life. Just enjoy your own company and know that you are loved. Follow these rules and watch people come begging at your feet to be with an independent woman/man like you!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Taylor Walker. I am a senior at Florida State University majoring in Sociology with a minor in Psychology. I love to write about my experiences and things I love. In my spare time, I make content for my Youtube channel called Taylor Renae.